gfxHomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Limewire Alternative  (Read 5823 times)
Amule
« on: October 15, 2008, 04:55:53 AM »

Once upon a time I had Napster. Once upon a time that shit used to NOT fuck your computer into oblivion.

Anyway, I used to avoid blowing up my computer by staying a little ahead of the curve - Use the lesser known more reliable program.

Anyone know of a safe, reliable way to get free/affordable tunes?

Jim Tressel
[global] WTB new character name

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 05:39:16 AM »

bittorrents are the new hawtness.

Download a BT client (I use Azureus, or as it's called now, Vuze), then use a site to find the torrents themselves.  I use mininova.org for most of my stuff.  It is worth noting that I use torrents solely for the legal transfer of large, non-copyrighted files for which I am in no way violating intellectual property rights or the Terms of Service as set forth by my ISP.  The Wolverines, as an organization, does not condone the use of the Internets, heretofore referred to as "The Tubes", or the bittorents therein, for the illegal acquisition and/or dissemination of copyrighted materials.

Nightstalker
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 06:07:57 AM »

It is worth noting that I use torrents solely for the legal transfer of large, non-copyrighted files for which I am in no way violating intellectual property rights or the Terms of Service as set forth by my ISP.  The Wolverines, as an organization, does not condone the use of the Internets, heretofore referred to as "The Tubes", or the bittorents therein, for the illegal acquisition and/or dissemination of copyrighted materials.

suite
Grimsweeper
WoW Member

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 08:02:54 AM »

i use uTorrent, and like JT, also use the mininova.org site to accquire said torrents. As JT said, these torrents are non copyrighted items which are in the public domain.

Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever use limewire or any similar program. unless it's someone else's computer. then i suggest downloading nothing but horse cocks and gore. bonus points if the computer is networked with file sharing capabilites.
Snackcakes
GO BUCKS!
WoW Member

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 11:00:48 AM »

bitttorrents ftw, i'd trust JT on this one. limewire is the devil. when people bring in their laptops to our office because its f'ed with viruses and spyware I always, always see the limewire shortcut on their desktop.

My faith in you shall never falter again.
Reddawn
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 11:12:33 AM »

RedDawn is the best way to get tunes

JT...set me up a box I can get into and torrent stuff on...torrents dont work over here Sad
Varg
Varg....Varg Vikernes
SW:TOR Officer

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 11:51:54 AM »

Bittorrent. Get a program called uTorrent. If your have a router you will need to port forward it. It can be a bear to setup initially but if you do your homework and have a good connection, its like crack.

gratefulness you guys for doing what you did so far. It's important bullshit.
Redbear8
WoW Member

where's the honey?

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 01:38:23 PM »

I, like JT, use "Vuze" for my torrent needs, and love it.

"To open one's mouth indiscriminately brings shame, and there are many times when people will turn their backs on such a person."

-Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Varg
Varg....Varg Vikernes
SW:TOR Officer

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 02:01:24 PM »

I installed Vuse and thought it was bloated. I dont need to stinking media player in my thift machine!

gratefulness you guys for doing what you did so far. It's important bullshit.
Krogoth
Has a PS2 Hardon
WoW Member

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 04:05:56 PM »

I use uTorrent and Vuse. Sometimes Vuse likes to pretend its ports are not mapped, but I like the interface and built in search engine.

I usually use mininova or thepiratebay.org
If its not on one, its usually on the other. If its not on either, it doesn't exist

Reddawn
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 08:21:04 PM »

usenet is a good place for music too
Redbear8
WoW Member

where's the honey?

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 08:58:22 PM »

I download all my midi files from BBS

"To open one's mouth indiscriminately brings shame, and there are many times when people will turn their backs on such a person."

-Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Amule
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2008, 03:06:38 AM »

Thanks you guys.

I use ruckus.com to download most of my music. It's free for college students, which is pretty bad ass, but limited in selection and unfortunately it doesn't allow me to stick it on my iPod. I think with the right program you can rip it permanently so I'll try that and keep your suggestions in mind for music I can't get through Ruckus.

Jim Tressel
[global] WTB new character name

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2008, 03:42:38 AM »

One thing you might also consider is downloading Microsoft's Zune software.  You can buy their Zune Pass thing which gives you unlimited downloads for $15 a month.  The only catch is that if you discontinue your subscription, the music you downloaded self-destructs.  This is all well and legal...up until the point that you use another piece of software called TuneBite to strip the DRM from the files and they are yours forever (technically, it re-encodes them in a non-DRM format).  This way you can pay for your cake and keep it forever in a cryogenic chamber too.  I think I got that metaphor wrong.  You pay a small amount of money, you break a teeny, tiny law, then you takes the music, Labowski.  You get the point.

Nightstalker
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2008, 05:54:02 AM »

eh, Whats wrong with Limewire?
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx