gfxHomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Geeking out your home  (Read 3160 times)
Varg
Varg....Varg Vikernes
SW:TOR Officer

« on: November 18, 2009, 05:55:30 PM »

So I have my house up for sell and looking to get a bigger/nicer place. One of the things I always have dreamed of doing with a home is to wire it all up and geek it out (tastefully). What I am wondering is, have any of you guys done anything like this? What projects have you done, how did they turn out, what were the problems you saw? What aspects of a home would you look for if you were planning on doing this.
To give you an idea of what I would like to see:
Server setup in the office or closet somewhere
-tvs everywhere with some sort of front end to play media from server (1080p capable)
-security system , security cameras (alert me via email or sms on certain events)
-home automation (control thermostat remotely, turn lights/tv on or off at certain times or during certain actions- entering room etc)
-?? expandable for things I have not thought of yet

thoughts? experiences? my nerd level for wanting to do this on a scale of 1-10?

gratefulness you guys for doing what you did so far. It's important bullshit.
thrun
Metal God
WoW Member

Starting a protometal band to raise HPV awareness

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 06:18:35 PM »

I haven't done it, but I know they make home stereo equipment that runs over CAT5, my cousin had his last house built and had a system similar to this put in.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-theater-audio-video-news/463-component-dvi-hdmi-over-cat-5-a.html

As far as your 'puters - if it were my network though I wouldn't wire anything, I would just use wireless with a repeater or two stashed in a closet here and there.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2091726_bridge-wireless-routers.html

Jim Tressel
[global] WTB new character name

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 06:24:55 PM »

It all boils down to 1 thing: Money.

If you're looking for a sleek, all-in-one experience and you have a little bit of money to spend on it, check out http://www.exceptionalinnovation.com/.

I got a job offer from them a couple years ago but I passed it up for the superior benefits package at OSU.  Their shit is DOOOOOPE!

Varg
Varg....Varg Vikernes
SW:TOR Officer

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 06:56:38 PM »

I didnt know there was anything out there like that Thrun, might have to think that through- could be an option. Some will be wireless for sure, but I dont think you can do 1080p over wireless, could be wrong though.

JT- That is pretty much what I am looking for. That stuff looks awesome. I am more thinking of going the DIY route with the hardware but man that stuff is cool. The iphone integration is SICK.

gratefulness you guys for doing what you did so far. It's important bullshit.
Kastil
I have two fingers, I have four fingers.
WoW Member

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 10:57:18 PM »

A professional Camera job can run you anywhere from $500 for a single fixed position camera at your front door with DVR set up to an easy couple of thousand if you go with the multi pan-tilt-zoom  options.   The wireless cameras you can pick up yourself are actually not that bad but are not truly wireless.  You'll still have to have it hooked into an outlet somewhere and, depending on the makeup of your walls, have to have the receiver antenna within 20-30 feet.  Good news is most DVR's nowadays come with remote view software and email alerts though they usually set you up with a registration that you'll need to pay to update every couple of months to keep it operational.

Jim Tressel
[global] WTB new character name

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 01:59:30 AM »

Kas...you know alot about this.  You finally back to work on your zombie bunker?

Hawkes
Wolverine Council
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 02:22:31 AM »

Don't do HD over wireless yet.... still not 100%.  I don't have my thoughts together on this, but I would check out the Western Digital TV Live box.... network ready.  Very cool little device for about $120... especially if you get a lot of movies from torrents.

Oh and don't go CAT5..... go CAT 6.

ZONK
WoW Member

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 02:35:43 AM »

I recommend www.monoprice.com for cables. Best prices and service. They offer pretty cheap HDMI cables prepared for in-wall installation.

Has anyone streamed HD videos over a wireless N network? I was cheap and only got a b/g router way back when, but wonder if the bonus speed of N would be more then enough speed for it?

Stugots
I'm no Geographist.
Wolverine Council

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 02:38:38 AM »

I can't help you with the geeking out...but as JT, Red and Turk can attest, I've got the Slobbing-out down pat.

Stugots is an Italian American slang word taken from "Stu Cazzo", itself a corruption of 'Questo Cazzo', meaning "this dick". 'Questo' = This, 'Cazzo' = dick
Member of the Specialized Terran Fighting Unit since 2005
BCBrent:  "This Wolverine has a steed with really long legs".
Kastil
I have two fingers, I have four fingers.
WoW Member

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 10:04:45 PM »

Kas...you know alot about this.  You finally back to work on your zombie bunker?

It's what I do.    Smiley

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx