gfxHomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How good of a deal is this?  (Read 2668 times)
Stugots
I'm no Geographist.
Wolverine Council

« on: February 20, 2010, 06:24:46 PM »

Saw this on slickdeals.net

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=CG5290-BP007-R&AID=10440852&CJPID=1225267

Stugots is an Italian American slang word taken from "Stu Cazzo", itself a corruption of 'Questo Cazzo', meaning "this dick". 'Questo' = This, 'Cazzo' = dick
Member of the Specialized Terran Fighting Unit since 2005
BCBrent:  "This Wolverine has a steed with really long legs".
Stugots
I'm no Geographist.
Wolverine Council

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 07:51:09 PM »

Nevermind, no longer available.

Stugots is an Italian American slang word taken from "Stu Cazzo", itself a corruption of 'Questo Cazzo', meaning "this dick". 'Questo' = This, 'Cazzo' = dick
Stugots
I'm no Geographist.
Wolverine Council

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 02:17:19 AM »

So...WOULD it have been a good deal?

Jim Tressel
[global] WTB new character name

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 02:34:59 AM »

Not really.  That's a good proc, about $300 for that.  The video card could be anywhere from $170-$300, depending on the oem and model, which they don't identify.  Where it gets sketchy is with the 9 gigs of ram.  First of all, is that DDR3 @ 1066mhz, or 1333mhz, or 1600mhz, or 1800mhz, or 1866mhz, etc?  They don't say, so it's fair to assume that it's 1066.  Then, how do they get 9 gigs?  2-2-2-2-1?  4-4-1?  3-3-3 triple channel?  Doesn't say.  Then they don't give any info on the mobo make/model.  No info on the PSU other than wattage.  And the real nail in the coffin is "Cool Minimalist Design".  That's not a thing.  Don't put that in the specs.

I would've said pass.  You can build a very good machine, with parts that you can have confidence in, for the same price or maybe a little less.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 02:44:24 AM by Jim Tressel » Logged

Stugots
I'm no Geographist.
Wolverine Council

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 02:48:46 AM »

You have no idea how lazy I have become when it comes to this.  I like building a machine, but pricing out and getting the parts seems like alot of work lately (only because I'd have to do it in my spare time, which there really is none).  Meh...maybe this summer or fall I'll build a new one.  Still want that killer gaming rig, my new compy at home is ok, but would work best as a net surfer/ Home theater type thing I guess.

Jim Tressel
[global] WTB new character name

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 03:31:57 AM »

If your spare time is short and your current rig will suffice, I'd suggest you keep using that for the time being.  When your free time increases, build your new box then so you can really enjoy it.  You know as well as I that these things pass into obsolescence quickly so you might as well hold off until you'll get your money's worth.  Just something to think about.

Stugots
I'm no Geographist.
Wolverine Council

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 04:59:42 AM »

Sage advice my friend, thanks.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx