gfxHomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Windows Paging/Swap File Size  (Read 1546 times)
Troyer
\m/ (>.<) \m/
WoW Member

« on: February 20, 2009, 02:18:33 PM »

I've always heard that you ideally want your paging file to be set statically to 1.5X the size of your physical RAM, not a min/max setting for dynamic, as best practice.  With computers regularly having 4GB and up now, is that still the thoughts on what's best practice?
Do I really want a 6GB swap file?
Is there a point of diminishing returns where you want 1X, 1/2X, no swap file?

If it matters, I'm running XP.  Also, would it be different on Vista (or Win7)?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 02:20:05 PM by Troyer » Logged

"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."  -Humphrey Bogart
Redbear8
WoW Member

where's the honey?

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 02:25:41 PM »

Well Since it was always best practice and not really mandatory, at least hasn't been for some time, I don't think diminishing returns really apply. Do you really need a page file that large? No, you don't "need" it but if you have the space free to give it the correct page file you might as well use it. As RAM keeps increasing in quantity, the programs using that RAM keep getting more demanding.

"To open one's mouth indiscriminately brings shame, and there are many times when people will turn their backs on such a person."

-Yamamoto Tsunetomo
gr0n
LAZER!
Wolverine Council

Space Rules

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 08:33:21 PM »

If you have the hard drive space, yes, I'd say do 1.5x RAM.  Like Rando said though, this is just a best practice...and theoretically yields the best performance.  Also, by making the min and max size the same you prevent the pagefile from dynamically growing and shrinking, which leads to pagefile fragmentation.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx