gfxHomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ok tech heads.. need your advice.  (Read 6831 times)
Jim Tressel
[global] WTB new character name

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2009, 07:24:49 PM »

I love my job and I have 0 certs.  One question that hasn't been asked: Do you have management experience?  If so, you might consider the ITIL Foundations program.  It's usually a 2 day class with a cakewalk test at the end.  Then you can leverage your management xp and the ITIL bullshit to work towards a less techy and more managey position.  Just a thought.

You could also look into the TIITB cert.

Snackcakes
GO BUCKS!
WoW Member

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009, 07:26:59 PM »

ITIL costs a ton for the classes, just buy the books, or steal JT's

My faith in you shall never falter again.
Hawkes
Wolverine Council
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2009, 09:02:07 PM »

I love my job and I have 0 certs.  One question that hasn't been asked: Do you have management experience?  If so, you might consider the ITIL Foundations program.  It's usually a 2 day class with a cakewalk test at the end.  Then you can leverage your management xp and the ITIL bullshit to work towards a less techy and more managey position.  Just a thought.

You could also look into the TIITB cert.

I think we are all still wondering how you fell in to that job..... or sucked your way..... whichever shoe fits.

Jim Tressel

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2009, 09:38:00 PM »

Spoiler Alert!

Certs are bullshit.  Experience and people skills are paramount and I've got both in spades.  I neither sucked nor fell on anything.  Maybe if you'd come to a get-together you'd realize how much people love having me around, so much so that they're willing to pay me for it...especially Turkley.

Arctic
Old

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2009, 04:23:37 AM »

My 2 cents. I left the office 10 yrs ago and havent look back. I go to work, work hard, go home. no worrie no pages no cell phones calls as to please fix this.

Personally If your looking at getting a job now i would see whats out there first really. Plus since i think everyone but thur who has responded to this post is a state employee I would go that route myself. There has to be a State web site that has the job listing.

Jim Tressel

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2009, 05:27:33 AM »

Arctic, not everyone gets to be a modern day Paul Bunyan.  Hawkes has delicate little hollow bones like a bird.  He can't rough up his pretty hands doing manwork then go eat an entire herd of cattle like you.  Cut him some slack.

Hawkes
Wolverine Council
Administrator

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2009, 12:14:18 PM »

Arctic, not everyone gets to be a modern day Paul Bunyan.  Hawkes has delicate little hollow bones like a bird.  He can't rough up his pretty hands doing manwork then go eat an entire herd of cattle like you.  Cut him some slack.

JT's got a point you know... I've spent almost 2 years with Palmolive.

Reddawn
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2009, 12:47:39 PM »

Sell drugs....better schedule and better money
Turkley
Wolverine Core Member - all game access

Controlled Chaos

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2009, 01:07:42 PM »

Spoiler Alert!

Certs are bullshit.  Experience and people skills are paramount and I've got both in spades.  I neither sucked nor fell on anything.  Maybe if you'd come to a get-together you'd realize how much people love having me around, so much so that they're willing to pay me for it...especially Turkley.

What I pay you for is between you and me.

Aside from that, certs are not bullshit.  They do help.  Its true that you don't need them, you just have to be in the right place at the right time without them.  If you aren't lucky enough for that, and don't have the experience to back your word up, certs definately help.  JT has gotten lucky.  The stuff he has pulled so far in his state jobs would have had him living on the street a long time ago in the private sector.
Reddawn
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2009, 01:21:03 PM »

oh no you didnt!?!
thrun
Metal God
WoW Member

Starting a protometal band to raise HPV awareness

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2009, 01:25:49 PM »

I am in the private sector, and I have no certs.  Granted I am starting to notice a salary cap creeping on so I'll have to get some eventually to further my career.

I agree with JT that the skillz, a smile and a good hand shake get you way farther then any piece of paper. 
Reddawn
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2009, 01:29:05 PM »

I got NT4 cert WAY back in the day but never have bothered to even do anymore.....I guess if my work paid for it I might get motivated......but they want me to buy servers for 25 cents and make them work.
Hawkes
Wolverine Council
Administrator

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2009, 01:48:18 PM »

Turkley said it best... right place right time.  If you don't have the certs, some places won't even look at your resume.  My wife's last job was to staff a new IT department and I can tell you that 99% of what they looked at was who had what certs and the other 1% was who knew somebody.

In most cases certs are overrated, unless you really need the education.  I've been out of it for so long, I need to get back in the game and if a cert is faster than waiting for the right place, right time, then cert it is.

Jim Tressel

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2009, 03:53:19 PM »

Turk, you're just mad cause I got super-crazy ninja skillz.  You need to get over it.

Arctic
Old

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2009, 12:09:20 AM »

ok so if you cant cowgirl up and work for a living i still say looking into the Gov sector for work is an awsome place to start. I know here in Idaho you have to take an Online Pretest then they interveiw the top 10 - 15 people, This may be a good start as to what you know and what you need to know. Otherwise work on your sucking skillz... and dont forget to swallow leaves a good impresion

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx