gfxHomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: It's not a car project...  (Read 2584 times)
Troyer
\m/ (>.<) \m/
WoW Member

« on: August 27, 2011, 12:49:38 AM »

...but I think you guys will approve.

So I frequent reddit.com, and by frequent I mean spend most of my awake hours using it.

One of my hobbies is homebrewing AKA making my own beer. There is a section of reddit devoted to this, www.reddit.com/r/hombrewing.

Gron and I homebrew as well and I decided to start homebrewing at home by myself.  And, well, you know, bottling sucks so I made a two draft kegerator.

Sheet acrylic to level the fridge floor

Replacement shelf shortened to accommodate 2 corny kegs, but still the big ass CO2 tank with scrap to help level

CO2 tank and acrylic scraps

The keg fit without the clear acrylic protective covering

Exterior with holes for shanks drilled

Birch board after staining to add a certain, what the French call ... I don't know what.

The board and shanks mounted

Interior with one keg connected

Finished draft handles

Gratuitous close up    Look at my Perlick.  LOOK AT IT!

Inside of the door complete with half-assed filling of the center drilled-poorly-by-the-douche-I-bought-the-fridge-from hole

Both kegs connected and working

The new hotness casting a shadow on my regular extra fridge.

I've got one keg for my homebrew and one for homemade rootbeer.  I've got an oatmeal maple vanilla porter in the fermenter now and it should be ready to dispense from the kegerator Wednesday.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 01:11:26 AM by Troyer » Logged

"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."  -Humphrey Bogart
Jim Tressel
[global] WTB new character name

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 02:50:28 AM »

You're right, it isn't a car project, but I wholeheartedly endorse this.

Stugots
I'm no Geographist.
Wolverine Council

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 03:33:12 AM »

It could be an interesting addition to a car project.  Or....research for many car projects.  "Let me go do some research...by the ...kegarator erm...I mean by the car project generator"

Stugots is an Italian American slang word taken from "Stu Cazzo", itself a corruption of 'Questo Cazzo', meaning "this dick". 'Questo' = This, 'Cazzo' = dick
Member of the Specialized Terran Fighting Unit since 2005
BCBrent:  "This Wolverine has a steed with really long legs".
Varg
Varg....Varg Vikernes
SW:TOR Officer

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 01:33:00 PM »

Thats flipping awesome. I have just been botteling. I should look into doing this.

Do you do extract kits or all grain stuff? I have an all grain setup but have been to scared to try it yet. I am going to brew an imperial stout (guinness) today. I want to play with adding some extra flavors, i take it i should only do this in the secondary right?

Awesome someone else here homebrews.

GELUZ OF YOUR SETUPS.

gratefulness you guys for doing what you did so far. It's important bullshit.
Troyer
\m/ (>.<) \m/
WoW Member

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 02:49:33 AM »

We do mini-mash (extract with specialty grains) in the group and that's what I'm doing alone as well. All-grain is too much time, hassle,& mess. We tried all-grain on a collaboration brew with s couple guys I know from work (my minion and his buddy) and it made a much worse mess than mini-mashand took a shitload longer. Mini-mash gives you the convenience of extract, but gives  most of the flexibility and control of all-grain since you use the specialty grains and hops.
As for when to add the extra flavors, it deoends on what flavors you want try out. Lemme know and I should be able to help out.

"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."  -Humphrey Bogart
Troyer
\m/ (>.<) \m/
WoW Member

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 02:58:04 AM »

The whole thing ran me basically $300. It's a used fridge that the guy was using as a kegerator for commercial 1/4 kegs. I kept the tank from his setup and sold the other bits; bought new to replace it all. The keg stuff order was $245 IIRC. CO2 fills run ~$25.
Each additional faucet runs about $100 in parts after you have what you need for one, if you buy a multi-body regulator instead of just a manifold. I knew the rootbeer was going to need pressurized at essentially double that of my beers.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx