gfxHomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Quitting Smoking / Help  (Read 7913 times)
Amule
« on: March 25, 2008, 08:21:56 PM »

So, I have been smoking for 6 years and I'm thinking maybe now is the time to quit. Don't ask me why. I love Phillip Morris with all my heart and soul.

I think that WoW is going to be a helpful agent in my crusade to kick the habit, but I was wondering if any of you guys have successfully quit.

How did you do it?

Unnormal
Prepare for the apocalypse.
Wolverine Council

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 08:23:07 PM »

try heroin

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.
Amule
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 08:27:04 PM »

try heroin

Aw.
thrun
Metal God
WoW Member

Starting a protometal band to raise HPV awareness

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 08:43:02 PM »

http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Way-Stop-Smoking-Non-Smokers/dp/1402718616

and the patch.

I have since relapsed but for the first 3 months after I read that book the thought of smoking made me want to puke.  I had smoked 2 packs a day up to that point.  My Ex GF quit just by reading that book and went from a pack a day to nothing, and has stuck with it (at least the last time I saw her, when we split)

Also there is a laser acupuncture that is supposed to work wonders now to, I have a  friend that went from a smoker to wanting to puke at the smell in the coarse of an hour's treatment.     

Arctic
Old

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 08:44:11 PM »

i quite after almost 25 years ( yes i do know that im old )  I think i quite 4 or five time befor it stuck  ( 4 yrs now )  the biggest thing is you have to want to do it.   after 4 yrs i still pass by someone whos smokin and i think it smell good but i know that one will start up my pack a day habbit.    Its all a mind game your body  is  done with nicote withdraws 48 hours after you quite if im not mistaken.  so where you choose gum , the patch  or whatever you have to be ready .

thats all i have

Snackcakes
GO BUCKS!
WoW Member

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 08:47:05 PM »

Well I got a g/f  ... guess you could try that? Kithari you watch your damn mouth!

But honestly, my dad was a heavy smoker and he's tried for the longest time to quit. He finally found success with the patches/gum. The hardest thing he said, was just getting out of the routine. Waking up and having a smoke, or just having one after a meal. Find something to distract yourself while the nicotine fix wears off. Play some WoW when you get the itch or something. My dad started doing woodworking as a hobby to distract himself.

My faith in you shall never falter again.
thrun
Metal God
WoW Member

Starting a protometal band to raise HPV awareness

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 08:49:43 PM »

My dad started doing woodworking as a hobby to distract himself.

And he's been working my wood ever since. 
Varg
Varg....Varg Vikernes
SW:TOR Officer

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 09:39:50 PM »

Arctic is dead on. That is the only way you will kick it, you have to really really want to quit and not be half hearted about it.
I found it useful to chew on a straw or a toothpick when it got bad.

gratefulness you guys for doing what you did so far. It's important bullshit.
Ziprar
WoW Member

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 10:15:09 PM »

My folks smoked for almost 40 years and finally quit after trying a ton of times.  They used Chantix.  Not sure if you want to avoid that kind of thing or not, but hey.  It worked for them when the gum, patches, cold turkey and a lot of other things failed.  They've been done with cigarettes for about half a year now and are going strong.  Longest they'd "quit" before was a few months for my dad and 9 months for my mom.

Veadria/Veadric/Groxxarn/Grylyn
ch0wdah
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 10:38:41 PM »

It helps not to hang around smokers.  If you hang around non-smokers exclusively, you won't want to smoke socially. 
Sultress
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 12:50:04 AM »

What makes it easy, is having the attitude shift about smoking - like Arctic said.  You have to really want to quit.. .and you have to change your thoughts about it.  That's what helped me most.  And I quit cold turkey from a 2+ pack a day habit.  Now I can't even stand the smell of it. 
Volk
WoW Member

Me at Neuschwanstein Castle

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 04:34:19 AM »

I quit cold turkey a year and a half ago, and I do hang around witha lot of smokers in the Army. However, you do have to want to quit for it to stick. Luckily I never did get up to a full pack a day when I did smoke, but some days I got close, especially on field training exercises. You just gotta find something else for you to do. Sunflower seeds helped.

~Bryan

Practice Safe Lunch, Use a Condiment.
Liladia
WoW Member

RAWRRRR

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 07:18:56 AM »

I quit cold turkey a year and a half ago, and I do hang around witha lot of smokers in the Army. However, you do have to want to quit for it to stick. Luckily I never did get up to a full pack a day when I did smoke, but some days I got close, especially on field training exercises. You just gotta find something else for you to do. Sunflower seeds helped.

Wow! I didn't know that you had been smoking, Bry.  Grats on kicking it.  Cheesy  Now I'm the only one of us 3 kids that hasn't been a smoker. I suppose that I have my own addictions, though. Tongue

I'll have to second the Chantix idea (and not just b/c it helped the in-laws quit).  I've been working in pharmacy now for >2 years, and it really seems like the best way for people to quit. We've had so many success stories, especially with people that have been smoking for many many years.  But you still have to want to quit and work at it - it isn't a magic bullet.  My uncle didn't go the full course on the Chantix, and he never quit smoking things other than nicotine.  Wink Chantix helped him quit cigarettes for about a year, but he's back up to smoking as much as he was before.  He's going to try Chantix again, but he needs to be fully focused on quitting smoking everything (which, knowing him and my aunt, will be very difficult).

The main problem with Chantix, though, is it's price - it's still over $100/month and it can be tough to get some insurance companies to cover it.  I would think that the cost would be worth it though, both in the short (you won't be buying cigs) and long (your health will be much better) run.

Good luck!  Quitting smoking is one of the toughest things that you can do.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 07:22:06 AM by Liladia » Logged

Volk
WoW Member

Me at Neuschwanstein Castle

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 08:09:43 AM »

Wow! I didn't know that you had been smoking, Bry.  Grats on kicking it.  Cheesy  Now I'm the only one of us 3 kids that hasn't been a smoker. I suppose that I have my own addictions, though. Tongue

I blame learning Russian on my smoking habit. The funny thing is all of us smokers were the best speakers in the classes because we would all speak Russian at the Smoke Pits with people from other classes. Learning Pashto has made me want to start smoking again from time to time, but I've held strong, even though there is a smoker in my class.

~Bryan

Practice Safe Lunch, Use a Condiment.
Gingerfarkas
Ginger
WoW Member

The Black Tiger Wolf

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 11:45:37 AM »

Download a girlfriend like me (Which Farkas did), then wait for a patch to come out a year later (after you grow attached to your new girlfriend add-on) in which girlfriend patch forces you to quit smoking and uninstall all cravings for a smoke...

Lmao... so technical... XD

--

The Black Tiger Wolf
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx