gfxHomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: It's F-ing COLD outside  (Read 10993 times)
thrun
Metal God
WoW Member

Starting a protometal band to raise HPV awareness

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2008, 09:19:43 PM »

For all of you in the frozen North, my words of wisdom for the day: buy an anti-freeze tester and make sure you are good to -30F - don't trust what the mechanic says!  My car overheated in less than 2 miles this morning, (2 degrees, -16 w.c. at the time) cause the dingleberry mechanic that worked on my coolant system two months ago couldn't master the intricacies of anti-freeze. 

your engine ok?  Did anything burst in your coolant system?  Once the car got hot it didn't melt the coolant? 
Varg
Varg....Varg Vikernes
SW:TOR Officer

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2008, 09:30:49 PM »

thermostat

gratefulness you guys for doing what you did so far. It's important bullshit.
thrun
Metal God
WoW Member

Starting a protometal band to raise HPV awareness

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2008, 09:34:03 PM »

thermostat

I'm vaugely aware a car has one, but I have no idea why that answers any of my questions.  Not that I am even sure if my questions make 100% sense.

I fixd teh computerz. 
Kith
Wolverine Core Member - all game access

This space for rent

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2008, 09:35:32 PM »

No, following the coolant issues I had a few months ago, I still glance at the temp gauge from time to time and parked the car just as it was getting to the red-line temperature.  Then it was a lovely process of 'lily-padding' home from one parking lot to another, stopping once the temp was getting close to red-line, popping the hood and waiting 10 minutes while our festive weather cooled the engine down - rinse/repeat until I got it home.  

By the time I parked it at the house it was completely thawed, but it went back to visit the mechanic so they could flush the system and do it right this time.

Girls, girls - you're both pretty.
Varg
Varg....Varg Vikernes

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2008, 09:37:55 PM »

The thermostat opens at certain temps (ie when it heats up and needs cooling). If the thermostat is stuck, it wont flow the coolant through the block and its will just sit there and freeze. Just an idea as its the part that fails the most.

Kith

This space for rent

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2008, 09:51:57 PM »

Possible, but if the antifreeze had been mixed correctly, wouldn't the coolant in the reservoir still have been liquid this morning?

Girls, girls - you're both pretty.
Varg
Varg....Varg Vikernes

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2008, 09:59:15 PM »

till he started driving and froze it in the radiator. Probably wrong, just an idea.

Turkley

Controlled Chaos

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2008, 02:12:02 PM »

Possible, but if the antifreeze had been mixed correctly, wouldn't the coolant in the reservoir still have been liquid this morning?

Yes.  50/50 ftw.
Redbear8
WoW Member

where's the honey?

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2008, 02:13:53 PM »

A lot of anti freeze comes pre-mixed these days, however I'm not sure if your mechanic mixes his own or not. If he does he could very well have diluted too much to save himself money.

It could also be the thermostat, but my guess is that it was frozen when you got in the car this morning, not that it froze as you drove, so I doubt that's the issue here.

"To open one's mouth indiscriminately brings shame, and there are many times when people will turn their backs on such a person."

-Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Jim Tressel
[global] WTB new character name

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2008, 05:48:40 PM »

have you tried touching it in the back?  I've had some success with that.

Gristle
WoW Member

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2008, 09:10:22 PM »

Pass on the earthquakes, wildfires, liberals, and ridiculous cost of living because of all the illegals. 

I'll take Georgia for 500 Bob, where the men have more teeth than the women!
Hottihealer
WoW Member

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2008, 09:53:16 PM »

Pass on the earthquakes, wildfires, liberals, and ridiculous cost of living because of all the illegals. 

I'll take Georgia for 500 Bob, where the men have more teeth than the women!

John F. Kennedy defined liberalism this way:

"If by a 'Liberal' they mean someone who looks ahead and not behind, someone who welcomes new ideas without rigid reactions, someone who cares about the welfare of the people — their health, their housing, their schools, their jobs, their civil rights, and their civil liberties — someone who believes we can break through the stalemate and suspicions that grip us in our policies abroad, if that is what they mean by a 'Liberal,' then I'm proud to say I'm a 'Liberal.'[4]

Modern American liberalism is a combination of social liberalism, social progressivism, and a mixed economy. It is distinguished from classic liberalism and libertarianism, which also claim freedom as their primary goal, in its insistence upon the inclusion of the right of a citizen to the necessities of life, and in a broader definition of freedom. Modern American liberals view massively unequal distributions of wealth and the destruction of the environment as threats to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. While the development of modern American liberalism may be traced to the late 19th and early 20th century, it may also be viewed as the modern version of the classical liberalism upon which America was founded.

"upon which America was founded."      I Hope we never forget this.

Kastil
I have two fingers, I have four fingers.
WoW Member

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2008, 11:53:04 PM »

"someone who welcomes new ideas without rigid reactions"  Does this mean seeing that something is bad but doing it anyway?

ch0wdah
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2008, 06:51:56 AM »

Hey, we have an 80+ page thread for this, get back to chapped nipples and rozen nose hairs, please.
Hottihealer
WoW Member

« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2008, 04:14:26 PM »

Correct you are !

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx