gfxHomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: We Win  (Read 17517 times)
Arctic
Old

« on: November 05, 2008, 05:53:36 AM »

that is all

Paul
WoW Member

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 05:58:36 AM »

lol, who is we exactly?

Nightstalker
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 06:08:01 AM »

And what did you win?

should let the term end first before claiming a victory.

I'm sure those who claimed they won with a Bush vote feel like jackasses.
Volk
WoW Member

Me at Neuschwanstein Castle

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 06:26:32 AM »

Well crap. There goes my job security.

Hello to military cutbacks like we haven't seen since Clinton and Carter.

~Bryan

Practice Safe Lunch, Use a Condiment.
JesterDTM
WoW Member

Whateva!

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 06:43:37 AM »

Who's we? Abortionists?

Nightstalker
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 06:46:08 AM »

Gays I think..

Cept all of their gay marriage and adoption bills are getting voted down now haha.

Guess change cant happen afterall.
Nightstalker
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 06:50:27 AM »

Arctic who did you vote for in Minn. that race looks pretty tight there.
Jim Tressel
[global] WTB new character name

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 07:14:21 AM »

Listen not to these sayers of nay, Arctic.  Today America won many victories.  Victory against racism and intolerance.  Victory against ignorant slander and the smear campaigning process.  Victory against the status quo in Washington.  And perhaps most importantly, a victory for proper diction and the entire English language.

Now that last victory might seem unimportant at a glance, but trust me, it isn't.  The tone of our speech and the words we use reflect the fundamental way we think.  They color our messages and they betray our subconscious.  If not mastery, then at least a minimal respect for the English language should be a prerequisite to taking the office of President of the United States.  This one person is elected (or sometimes not) to be the representative individual of an entire nation.  I have been nothing short of embarrassed each and every time Bush has opened his mouth for the last 8 years.  To think that people in other countries might base their judgment of you and I and Americans as a whole on his speech is torturous to my soul.  

I look forward to a renewal of education in this country.  I look forward to an intellectual rebirth.  I look forward to a leader that embraces the notion that critical thought and careful consideration should precede force in all circumstances.  But more to the point, I look forward to a President that understands the weight of words and chooses his accordingly.

Look at the way our founding fathers commanded language.  It was brilliant and graceful and forceful and poetic and measured.  All at once.  It was flowing and rhythmic while saying neither more nor less than was intended.  This is not something to sneer at.  This is something to aspire to.  After all, the pen is mightier than the sword.  Unless you're trying to cut through something.  In that case, I'd take the sword over the pen and you'd be a fool not to do the same.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 07:24:19 AM by Jim Tressel » Logged

Arctic
Old

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 07:16:55 AM »

Arctic who did you vote for in Minn. that race looks pretty tight there.
I live in Idaho now welcome to 3 yrs ago when i moved

Arctic
Old

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 07:34:44 AM »

JT put it the best and better then I could of, I know nothing has happen yet and that he will not change everything he promised, But for the first time since the Regan years (yes a republican) I feel like we are taking steps in the right Direction. For once in our history as a country we will be living prof that anyone can be anything they want, this will be the first time in since we started we will have a leader that is not White. In the last 40 yrs I have lived though both the most prosper time and what will turn out to be the most destructive in our history. How one can say that now the abortionist win, the Gays. yes your right they did win. they won the freedom of Choice. which is what this county was base apon, you may not like there choice, but that does not mean you should get to push your choice on them.

Night you keep talking about this revloution. Well I think it started. Today people spoke up and said that status quo just will not cut it anymore.

ch0wdah
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 07:39:21 AM »

Did you all hear Obama's speech?  The Change already happened.  We Changed presidents.  The Change occurred today during voting hours, so you pretty much missed it if you were not paying attention.  Tune in 2010 for the next episode of Change, in which the Republicans attempt to recapture seats in Congress to further the end times prophecies.
Arctic
Old

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 07:42:07 AM »

Did you all hear Obama's speech?  The Change already happened.  We Changed presidents.  The Change occurred today during voting hours, so you pretty much missed it if you were not paying attention.  Tune in 2010 for the next episode of Change, in which the Republicans attempt to recapture seats in Congress to further the end times prophecies.
+1

Nightstalker
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 08:25:51 AM »

Night you keep talking about this revloution. Well I think it started. Today people spoke up and said that status quo just will not cut it anymore.

No.

I Admire Obama, honestly. Many of his concepts mentioned in his debates ran eerily similar to my thoughts and dreams of changes;

His thoughts on the reforms of Detroit.. I swear I was thinking just the same thing before he started on discussing their situation and how they are too slow to get with the market trend, which right now is fuel efficiency. He mentioned that abortion is a serious issue, but that people really need to focus some attention on preventing it from being an issue in the first place, which is what I've always believed. Several things.

What I hate though is how the white man has been discredited in this whole event.

If you didn't vote for Obama then somehow, some way you were boxed into being a redneck who was scared of a Black president. I'm perfectly fine with having one, C. Powell i'd vote for, as thats someone with credentials.

Jesse Jackson mentions the event was reconciliation for white people. Well fucking news flash, I haven't had any slaves, nor will I. Nor have I owned and operated a whites only restroom stall. I don't need fucking reconciliation.

The whole even has been nothing but a trend. Kids that don't know better, have voted on him simply because he was more in touch with the youth via internet or other places such as myspace etc. Most of them not even knowing their stances on issues casting votes.

America has fallen in love with imagery. We have whored our values out to the point that we have to look a certain way, rather than be qualified or have the right credentials.

I too, enjoyed the feeling of seeing the people jubilant over their sense of accomplishment. I enjoyed seeing the message they sent to Bush by celebrating in front of the white house. The feeling of seeing multi ethnic unison at Obama's victory speech was great.

But at the end of the day I know I cant allow myself to fall into this orgy of imagery, because the reality is that I know nothing about this guy, and he hasn't proved anything yet.

Theres the saying "Never look a gift horse in the mouth".

Take advice from the Trojans: you'll definitely want to look that gift horse in the mouth.

I want a no party system, or to be inclusive of many more parties/candidates for the presidential election rather than just two.

I want the electoral vote dissolved.

I want to be able to decide at least 1% of where my taxes go - education, defense spending etc.

That is my revolution, and I can't rely on that change to come from a senator or a president promising change. That has to come from me, and for me to voice my opinion so.

I've certainly enjoyed the foray into politics this year. This is really my first year waking up and learning about many factors an operations, so needless to say I was disappointed to learn about how some of the strings are pulled. Good to learn about though, as it gives me fuel to campaign or protest whenever possible Smiley

And I enjoyed watching the outside the lines thinkers, and seeing folks who aren't chained down to conventional thinking and in Washington's pockets. People like Ventura and Ron Paul have really inspired me that there is hope to succeed politically outside the fringe of the trend.
ch0wdah
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2008, 08:42:15 AM »

One of my best friends was inspired by the 2000 election to take a more active role in politics.  He finished 5th, which is first among the candidates who don't cover the earth with name recognition campaign signs like vagisil on a sick hoo hoo.  And he finished ahead of all the REALLY crazy people.  He got to participate in candidate forums at the library and such.
Nightstalker
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2008, 08:47:15 AM »

point being?
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx