gfxHomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sound Card  (Read 3870 times)
Krogoth
Has a PS2 Hardon
WoW Member

« on: July 05, 2007, 05:42:34 AM »

Hey all,

I just reformatted my computer, cause it was running really slow, unfortunately, when I go to reinstall my drivers, I can't find my Creative Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 CD that came with the audio card. Now, normally this wouldn't be a problem, but I quickly remembered (and encountered) that it never gets detected, and when you go to install the latest driver, it gives an error of:

Code:
Setup was unable to detect a SB Live! 5.1 card on your system. This software package is meant for SB Live! 5.1 audio cards only. Setup will now exit.

closes, and sends you on your (not so merry way). I am currently in the looks of the .iso of the original install disk, but does anyone here have some firsthand experience/the proper .exe files I need to get the damn thing working?

Fedorov
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 12:21:02 PM »

You can actually download the drivers for it from Creative's website.  I believe they have both drivers and full sound (much like CD) package files, available.
Krogoth
Has a PS2 Hardon
WoW Member

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 03:35:04 PM »

unfortunately, its the drivers at Creative Lab's website that give that error. The soundcard is no longer supported by them by their customer support.

I have found basic drivers that will work (are ment for SB), and produce sound, but when I try to then install the proper drivers on top of it, it gives me the same message, and doesn't work.

The drivers I was using would normally be fine, but I have a 5.1 surround sound headset, and need the surround sound center they have.

edit: oh, and the soundcard comes up in my device manager as "Multimedia Device Controller", with a yellow questionmark and exclamation mark.
The worst part of all this is that I remember going through all this trouble last time, and I had saved the drivers, but I couldn't find them anywhere.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 03:40:59 PM by Krogoth » Logged

Troyer
\m/ (>.<) \m/
WoW Member

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 04:20:19 PM »

Have you tried doing a search on Creative's site using the model code on the actual board?  I can't find drivers for my sound card unless I search for 'SB0900'.

"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."  -Humphrey Bogart
Krogoth
Has a PS2 Hardon
WoW Member

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 08:45:06 PM »

hmm, I'll try that later tonight. My friend suggested that I unplug it and replug it into my computer, of which I felt stupid for not having thought of. While I have it out, I'll take a look at the model # (the gfx card is in the way atm)

Kdehner
The K! To The D!
WoW Member

Woot!

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 11:11:11 PM »

Is it an onboard sound card or a PCIE card?

XBL Gamertag - Axel320
http://www.prisonstruggle.com/register.php?referer=140972- in browser MMORPG- Free- Upgrades available trough donations.
Krogoth
Has a PS2 Hardon
WoW Member

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 01:19:29 AM »

PCI. my onboard is Realtek '97 (which, mind you, took forever to find out before I had this SB) and without 5.1 Sad

Hawkes
Wolverine Council
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 05:15:12 AM »

did you disable your onboard sound in the BIOS?  Make sure you do that before you install the drivers.

Krogoth
Has a PS2 Hardon
WoW Member

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2007, 05:44:18 PM »

unless my BIOS settings suddenly changed when I reformatted, it by all means should work; it did last time and the time before that, but I will check out my BIOS in a sec...

Reddawn
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2007, 05:57:43 PM »

did you boot into safe mode and look in device manager? If anything fishy is in there pull it and reboot.
Krogoth
Has a PS2 Hardon
WoW Member

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2007, 07:31:59 PM »

I switched the card into a new PCI slot, made sure it was seated right, still detected as a Multimedia Audio Controller

My SB Live! 5.1 model is 0220, couldn't find the drivers on their website, but found them on another website, same error.

my onboard is turned off at the BIOS
booted into safemode and nothing seems fishy

after searching a bit, I found the name of the driver that keeps getting installed that works, but isn't letting me upgrade to the 5.1 stuff. the name is

"Creative EMU10K1 Audio Processor (WDM)"
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 07:39:23 PM by Krogoth » Logged

Hawkes
Wolverine Council
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2007, 07:56:42 PM »

Where did you buy the card from?   

Oh and check this thread out... you may just want to go buy a new $40 card and get yourself out of that problem card.

http://www.driverheaven.net/audio-general-technical-discussion/74184-using-ctcomp-exe-patch-util-setup-your-sb-live-5-1-a.html
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 08:02:31 PM by Hawkes » Logged

Krogoth
Has a PS2 Hardon
WoW Member

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2007, 07:59:46 PM »

mom got it at Best Buy.

I actually feel really stupid now. Those drivers that let me have sound, but didn't let the setup work....well, they apparently feel like working now. I was able to install the basic drivers, than upgraded it, and got all my 5.1 stuff back. Thanks for all the help guys

Hawkes
Wolverine Council
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2007, 08:10:47 PM »

and don't feel stupid bro... stranger things have happened.

Kdehner
The K! To The D!
WoW Member

Woot!

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2007, 04:13:22 AM »

The best question is... Are you running vista?

XBL Gamertag - Axel320
http://www.prisonstruggle.com/register.php?referer=140972- in browser MMORPG- Free- Upgrades available trough donations.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx