gfxHomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Motherboards  (Read 5807 times)
Reddawn
« on: February 01, 2007, 01:42:46 PM »

I was looking into building a pc and was looking at an Intel E6600 processor. What are some rocking LGA 775 motherboards?

Also thinking of hitting the Nvidia 8800 action.

I need you geeks to set me straight.
gr0n
LAZER!
Wolverine Council

Space Rules

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 06:33:08 PM »

Dude, buy a Dell.  It's not really any cheaper to build your own machine, and unless you do it for pure satisfaction, I'd just as soon buy a pre-built machine that is (hopefully) tested and warrantied and ready to go out of the box.

For pieces/parts machines, I've always been a fan of Intel brand motherboards.  You can't usually do much with them, but they're rock solid and reliable.

Ok, now for the AMD guys to talk I'm sure.  :-)

-gr0n

Reddawn
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 07:22:04 PM »

Get me some discount action and I'm like Flynn
Stugots
I'm no Geographist.
Wolverine Council

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 09:49:12 PM »

AMD ROX YOUR SOX!!!

and stuff.

Stugots is an Italian American slang word taken from "Stu Cazzo", itself a corruption of 'Questo Cazzo', meaning "this dick". 'Questo' = This, 'Cazzo' = dick
Member of the Specialized Terran Fighting Unit since 2005
BCBrent:  "This Wolverine has a steed with really long legs".
Hawkes
Wolverine Council
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 04:17:56 AM »

DO NOT BUY DELL!!!  DO NOT BUY ANY MASS PRODUCED MACHINE SUCH AS HP, ETC!!!

Ask Apone.  He didn't listen to me when he bought his.

Sometimes it's not just about building your own machine to save money, it's about building a machine that you know is upgradable and built with QUALITY components.  Also, you won't be on the line with some dude in another foreign country who just graduated from English class last week and still can only say, "Now what I'd like you to do is put your refresh disk in and completely wipe everything out.  How does that sound?"  I'll tell you how that sounds you little freak..... click.

I am getting ready to spec out probably my best machine thus far and I've been looking at the Asus Striker.  That motherboard is looking really sweet.  There's not much you won't find in this board.  How quickly are you looking to move on this?

Ziprar
WoW Member

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 04:29:32 AM »

Sometimes it's not just about building your own machine to save money, it's about building a machine that you know is upgradable and built with QUALITY components.  Also, you won't be on the line with some dude in another foreign country who just graduated from English class last week and still can only say, "Now what I'd like you to do is put your refresh disk in and completely wipe everything out.  How does that sound?"  I'll tell you how that sounds you little freak..... click.

I am getting ready to spec out probably my best machine thus far and I've been looking at the Asus Striker.  That motherboard is looking really sweet.  There's not much you won't find in this board.  How quickly are you looking to move on this?

Amen to everything he just said.

Veadria/Veadric/Groxxarn/Grylyn
Krogoth
Has a PS2 Hardon
WoW Member

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 04:55:40 AM »

Amen to everything he just said.

QFE, my parents have bought 4 Dells total (3 desktop for kids, 1 laptop), and they've only been headaches for me, the household IT guy. I personally have a Compaq, which is a a ton more reliable than Dell, but I'd still prefer to build my own, out of the "so I know what is in it" box.

Reddawn
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007, 02:53:09 PM »

You know how like when your 50 you get to support your folks because their like really old and stuff? Well I get to do it at 35 so I was probably going to just order parts here and there when I get extra flash money.
gr0n
LAZER!
Wolverine Council

Space Rules

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2007, 03:30:25 PM »

I used to be in the exact same boat as Hawkes, etc.  However, if you are smart about it there's no reason not to buy a Dell.  I hand crafted every PC I ever owned up until a couple of years ago.  That is when I got in on a deal for the Dell PowerEdge 400SC.  That thing was a rock solid.  I just popped in my own graphics and audio cards and I was on my way.  In December I just purchased a Dell XPS 410, and this thing is sick.  Yes, I could have spent hours researching, ordering, building and testing my own machine...which I still enjoy immensely...but the end result is still pretty much the same.  Yes, the case isn't anywhere near the quality as my nice aluminium Lian-Li case, and the fan does rattle sometimes (which I will be fixing shortly), but for the overall value of the thing...it can't be beat.

As far as family tech support goes, I've been there, done that...but at least if you have them get a Dell or HP, they can call the real tech support line if they need to...and that means you don't have to worry about RMA'ing parts for them.

-gr0n

BCBrent
Cheesemaster

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2007, 05:39:33 PM »

I got mine from HP and haven't even needed to call tech support yet.
Jim Tressel
[global] WTB new character name

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2007, 05:50:48 PM »

I don't believe in computers.

Hawkes
Wolverine Council
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2007, 07:09:45 PM »

I used to be in the exact same boat as Hawkes, etc.  However, if you are smart about it there's no reason not to buy a Dell.  I hand crafted every PC I ever owned up until a couple of years ago.  That is when I got in on a deal for the Dell PowerEdge 400SC.  That thing was a rock solid.  I just popped in my own graphics and audio cards and I was on my way.  In December I just purchased a Dell XPS 410, and this thing is sick.  Yes, I could have spent hours researching, ordering, building and testing my own machine...which I still enjoy immensely...but the end result is still pretty much the same.  Yes, the case isn't anywhere near the quality as my nice aluminium Lian-Li case, and the fan does rattle sometimes (which I will be fixing shortly), but for the overall value of the thing...it can't be beat.

As far as family tech support goes, I've been there, done that...but at least if you have them get a Dell or HP, they can call the real tech support line if they need to...and that means you don't have to worry about RMA'ing parts for them.

-gr0n

Sorry... still can't agree with you gr0n.  Small Business?  Maybe.  RedDawn?  No.  Never.  Wouldn't do it.  I wouldn't do it for any of you.  Dell cuts too many corners and too many deals to get their cost per machine low.  If they didn't do that, I'd say eh... maybe.  Special power supply plugs, motherboard customization.... nope... can't do it.

Arctic
Old

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2007, 11:54:04 PM »

I dont claim to be a Tech guy but Ii read alot about computers before I bought the one i have, when i was looking a building my own system i was looking for 3 things really, 

1) What might support the new quad cores ( at the time they werent out yet ) incase i might want one ?

2) SLI,  second graphics card, Easy upgrade.

Now I wish i would of boughten something with a 590 or greater north bridge, all the  MB that have that have a True SLI 16x PCI express instead of 8x PCI express. I would make sure that it will run a 8800 series graphics card  (or better)to the cards full potential, to get the most out of DirectX 10 and windows Vista ( or at least thats my understanding of it from what ive read)

I fell I must enter an opion of Big computer company VS small VS building it yourself.   If you like to build them yourself then do it, I understand the sadifaction you get by doing it yourself. Also if your going to buy it in peices i think doing it yourself would be the best way.  As far as a Dell or HP or any other big name box, well I agree with bit more with Hawkes then Gr0n.

WildShadow
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2007, 08:10:45 AM »

simply:

Nvidia Graphics card

Intel CPU (their core 2 duos are actually better than anything AMD has out, comparatively even. this is sad, as i have always been a big AMD fan, but the facts are true. up to a 30% increase over AMD... *cry*)

and don't buy Asus MoBos. i like the bios, but they usually have problems. bought a M2N-SLI Deluxe. had to blow a fan on it during the windows install because the retards screwed a setting in factory bios, causing a lock up when it reaches something like 105 degrees. had to install windows, flash the mobo, and it forced another reinstall windows becuz it couldn't read it anymore...DON'T BUY ASUS MoBos!!!

as for any prebuilt piece of shit, don't ever buy one unless it's for someone who doesn't know crap and will not use it for gaming. they always come infested with worthless software, slowing down the machine and using resources that takes too much time and effort to clean off. you also almost never get a real copy of windows, just some company-specific image with no CD and only a recovery option which can take up to 4 DVDs to back up.

you want a good computer, buy the parts, build it. you know what goes into it, you know how to upgrade it, and download windows, then you got a clean copy without a bunch of crap on it. and no company proprietary bullshit.

www.newegg.com

STAY AWAY FROM ASUS, PNY, AND KINGSTON!!!

these are facts (at least to me) i have never looked into Intel, but until i hear AMD kicking Intel's ass again, i think i will start for my next upgrade...
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 08:15:00 AM by WildShadow » Logged
Hawkes
Wolverine Council
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2007, 01:45:20 AM »

AMD has a lot of catching up to do and will for quite a while.  I've never bought AMD and never intend to. 

Nvidia or ATI... nVidia.

Don't buy Asus?  You had a bad experience.  Every machine I've ever sold to a customer was built on an Asus mobo, Intel CPU, nVidia video card, Corsair ram.  I've used PNY on personal stuff and have no complaints.  I've used Kingston on personal stuff and have no complaints.  I would probably not use them on building a gaming rig just because there are other components out there I think are of better quality, but I have no reason to ding them for run of the mill machines.

Now to my nemesis.... Newegg.  Newegg has some great prices.  Hell, I've even bought from them on occasion to build a machine for a customer.  They are a resellers worst f'ing enemy because they command pricing in the market, BUT not on everything.  I've seen them gouge customers on some prices and their customer service is not all it's cracked up to be.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx