gfxHomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: TV Help  (Read 3764 times)
Varg
Varg....Varg Vikernes
SW:TOR Officer

« on: March 19, 2008, 10:00:59 PM »

I am about to be in the market to get a new TV and I want to go HD. I freaking clueless between LCD/Plasma/DLP. What is the best? What are the advantages? I have a budget of about 1500 dollars (could go up a 2 hundred or so if need be) Suggestions?
 Huh

gratefulness you guys for doing what you did so far. It's important bullshit.
Jim Tressel
[global] WTB new character name

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 11:07:54 PM »

$1,500 will buy you a whole lotta TV these days.  If you want to get a primo-deal, check out NewEgg's "Recertified" and "Open Box" deals under the Specials tab.  Normally I would be hesitant to buy a recert or o.b. tv, but NewEgg's return policy is no joke and the prices are ridiculously low.

Now, I could go into a long, drawn out diatribe regarding which type of TV is better than the others as I have been known to do from time to time, but instead I will just send you here:  http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5108443-1.html?tag=txt

There's a good list of Pros/Cons for each technology and it will spare me assault from the fanboys out there.

Varg
Varg....Varg Vikernes

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 12:41:52 PM »

That is a good article JT. Looks like I may go with Plasma or a DLP. Is there a huge difference in 720 and 1080? Between i and p?

Jim Tressel

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 02:13:43 PM »

There is a difference, but I would hesitate to call it "huge" or even "noticeable" in any situation other than a side-by-side comparison.  However, if you are going to spend as much money as you are proposing, I would make sure whatever you get is 1080p.  The prices on 1080p sets have come down enormously in the last year, so it would just be silly to spend that much money and not get the best when you are only going to pay slightly less for a 1080i or 720p set.

Snackcakes
GO BUCKS!
WoW Member

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 02:18:55 PM »

Caleb you are an A/V genius. Now make me an Uber Caleb Cable and wire it directly into my car... oh and once that is done I will need a mini to mini cable. kthxbye!

My faith in you shall never falter again.
Jim Tressel

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 05:15:15 PM »

1.  Yes, I am a genius.
2.  I made you an Uber Caleb Cable.  Go buy a stereo now.
3.  You work in an office full of mini-mini cables.  Steal one.

Hiptotorus
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 10:55:26 PM »

IIRC HD is going by the wayside as Blue ray is taking over.  I think it was Mitsubishi that dropped the entire HD line.  So prices have plumetted.  Now you can get an HD TV real cheap but look at any HD that is fed by less than HD input.  Kinda greys out and is blocky. 

I almost went down this road but am real hesitant as of right now. 

Just a word of warning.  I'm sure the cable expert knows more.
Troyer
\m/ (>.<) \m/
WoW Member

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 11:17:52 PM »

IIRC HD is going by the wayside as Blue ray is taking over.  I think it was Mitsubishi that dropped the entire HD line.  So prices have plumetted.  Now you can get an HD TV real cheap but look at any HD that is fed by less than HD input.  Kinda greys out and is blocky. 

I almost went down this road but am real hesitant as of right now. 

Just a word of warning.  I'm sure the cable expert knows more.

What the Hell are you talking about?

"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."  -Humphrey Bogart
Jim Tressel

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 06:09:38 AM »

When a tv is referred to as an HDTV, this means that it is capable of producing a High Definition picture (ie: 1080i, 1080p, and depending on who you're talking to, 720p).  This is not to be confused with HD-DVD, the superior high definition DVD format that Toshiba unfortunately had to drop.  Blu-Ray is Sony's inferior version of a high definition DVD format and it will, just as unfortunately, be the one that we are forced to choke down.

Either way, if you are getting an HDTV, which you will be, do yourself a favor and at least make sure you have digital cable with some HD channels.  Also, go to www.monoprice.com and buy proper cables.  The worst thing you can do is spend a bunch of dough on a TV and try to cut corners on the cables.  Some people like HDMI because it integrates the video and audio into 1 cable.  I use a receiver to handle sound, so I prefer using Component (Red, Green, Blue) cables for video and optical for audio.

Jim Tressel

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 06:10:43 AM »

One last thing:  don't buy Monster cables or I will drive to your house and kick your dog.  Just don't do it.

Varg
Varg....Varg Vikernes

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2008, 12:38:21 PM »

Yes, http://consumerist.com/353938/monster-cables-monster-ripoff-80-markups (exposes Monster's 80% markup)   and http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/03/audiophiles-cant-tell-the-difference-between-monster-cable-and/  (no difference between monster and a coat hanger!)

Monster is a waste of money. I am thinking of dropping Comcast for DirectTV. Supposedly they have the most HD. I just hate those damn dishes on my roof. I will get some cables from that site, thanks for the link.

Jim Tressel

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2008, 03:56:29 PM »

I would steer clear of DirectTV for the next 5 years if I were you.

http://gizmodo.com/370274/proof-satellite-sucks-dish-and-directv-get-fcc-approval-to-downgrade-hd-channels-until-2013

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx