gfxHomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Upgrading", or "getting a new computer"  (Read 6265 times)
Krogoth
Has a PS2 Hardon
WoW Member

« on: February 06, 2007, 04:22:56 AM »

hey guys, I'm in line for buying a new computer. As sone of you know (the BF2142ers at least), My current computer is starting to lag behind current tech. I can barely run BF2142 in a regular map (don't get me started on titan maps). I'm getting all $300 that the gov't has taken from my paychecks (yay for being a minor) in the next few weeks, and will have enough to get something decent. I'm just wanting some help finding a new computer. Since I'm planning on selling my old one, I need a new everything (minus soundcard, KB, mouse and monitor). I'm looking at a $600 top budget (w/o S&H). If a good deal can be found prebuilt (or built to order), I'd rather go that route, but if the price difference is significant, I'll go ahead and take a shot at building it myself. Figure I'd toss the challenge out to you guys, since I have no idea what the hell I'm doing!  Grin

Arctic
Old

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 05:09:35 AM »

www.ebay.com   I bought mine thought there and I think i got a good deal  Hawkes might be able to help i would try him also ( I still fell bad for not buying form hawks but this was to good of a deal to pass up ) Ebay has new Item stores and they usally have last generation models, my advice is ask questions and make sure you get someone who has a decent rating.

Hawkes
Wolverine Council
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 04:11:40 PM »

So I take it that you aren't willing to build it yourself.  That being said, you need to keep in mind the OS costs as well.  Which verison of the OS do you plan to run?  XP or Vista?  Which version of either one?  Also, throw some specs out there... how much hard drive space do you want?  What kind of optical drive?  CD or DVD?  Burner or reader only?

$600 is gonna be tight, but you can do better than what you have.  Just don't expect to get a quiet, cool machine.  You're going to need a cheaper case which means additional fans to keep it cool which means more noise.  What are the specs of what you have today?  CPU, memory, video card?

BCBrent
Cheesemaster

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 06:13:15 PM »

Since we're on the subject here, I'm also in the market for a new computer myself.  Mine is pretty much on the verge of complete obsoleteness.  My FPS in any new game is virtually nonexistant and I need an upgrade on just about... everything.

Right now, my specs are

2.6ghz processor (no idea what the motherboard is, bought it 4 years ago from HP.)
1 GB Ram
ATI 9600SE graphics card (WAS a 9800pro but that one became fubar'd and I needed a cheap replacement).
Sound Blaster Audigy1
2 DVD drives, one is a CD/DVDRW, one is the standard read only.
80 Gig hard drive.

What I would like:
Intel Core 2 Duo (I need more information about this, as I know nothing about them Smiley )
Motherboard that can support said processor
2 gigs ram
at least 250 gb hard drive.
I only really need a DVD reader, I rarely use my cd/dvd rw for anything and if I do, I plan on donating my old computer to my family so I could always use theirs.

As far as budget goes, I don't mind spending over $1,000 because I can buy a few parts at a time if need be.  If you could point me in the right direction as to where to get the parts and everything i'm gonna need to build one from scratch (I have a few smart friends whom I'm sure could give me a hand COUGH GLACIUS COUGH) I would appreciate it. Smiley

Hawkes
Wolverine Council
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 06:36:11 PM »

Brent you could do OK with $1000.00.  Might not be the slickest case and Power SUpply, but you could do pretty good.  DVD and CD/RW are pretty cheap today... you could get a combo unit for under $50.  What OS are you looking for?

BCBrent
Cheesemaster

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 07:08:41 PM »

I haven't used or seen Vista whatsoever, I assume it's pretty similar to XP and what not.  I know they have a few different versions available, but if there isn't really anything that helps with gaming then I would probably just get the home edition.
Reddawn
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 08:44:17 PM »

I want to see how Vista and DX10 shakes out before i buy anything. I also want to see how Conan does.....from what Ive seen graphically of Conan it looks elite
AlexFirestorm
Planetside Member

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 09:24:17 PM »

Well right now as far as I know theres only one graphics card out right now that actully can use directx10 and thats the geforce8800. At least as far as I know. Vista looks real flashy and has some nice things but I heard it has alot of compatability issues with alot of programs/games out there that and its a huge resource hog from what people are saying but I not personaly sat down and tried the release version just going by word of mouth.

WildShadow
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 09:52:09 PM »

i used the beta of windows vista, and it's insane. 32-bit is 2.5 gigs DVD, 64-bit is 3.5 gigs DVD. installed the 64-bit version was 15 gigs...

also, if you look into 8800s, make sure you look into a new power supply as well. something with prolly 25+ amps on the 12v rail (otherwise it will cause your computer to reboot everytime you get a game started) recommeded about 400 watts. problem is, things are so high powered, that that 400w power supply should ONLY run the video card (ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ELSE, as the 8800GS uses like 250 and the GTX is around 330), the keeping your old one as well for everything else.

also, with windows vista, if you're winxp savvy, you've got a lot to learn. they've moved almost all the options for folders, networking, EVERYTHING to god knows where, god knows why. it's so drastically different, it's like tryin to learn linux or mac.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 12:48:13 AM by WildShadow » Logged
Krogoth
Has a PS2 Hardon
WoW Member

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 12:14:17 AM »

Current Specs:
(The only thing that is stock is the Procc and Mobo, from Compaq 3.5 years ago)
AMD AthlonXP 2600+ 2.13GHz
1GB PC2700 DDR RAM
200GB HD space (over a 40 and a 160)
Unknown Mobo
RADEON 9800PRO 128MB
Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 sound card
2 Optical Drives (1 CD/RW, 1 DVD+-RW)
350w (IIRC) Power supply

Looking for:
XP Home, I have no need for Vista as of yet
Whatever Procc/Mobo you suggest (Core 2 Duo maybe?)
200GB HDD
1GB minimum of RAM
one DVD+-RW drive is good enough
won't need a new sound card (I'd be stealing that from my current one)

Sound isnt an issue, and a case with a few extra 3.5 slots would be nice, so I could expand the storage, but thats not totally neccessary.

If you have to, expanding into $650 isnt too bad, but I'd really prefer it not go into $700+. And like i said if its possible to get substantially better deals by building it myself, I'll do it, no problem (gotta figure it out sometime). I just don't wanna run the risk of fucking everything up Grin
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 12:15:52 AM by Krogoth » Logged

Rigtot
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2007, 02:44:00 AM »

2 gigs crossair ram 200$
250 gig hard drive 70$
id def go with dual core so that would be 200$
mother board 100-150$
xp home 100$
case 50$

That would basically get you set with a nice system ready for upgrading when ever. Though personally id wait a few months and get vista.

Also if you tell me a little more specific on what type of case you going for just let me know cause i know of a few good places to look.
Hawkes
Wolverine Council
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2007, 03:03:04 AM »

Don't forget the video card, cooling fan for the proc unless you are going with the stock fan, power supply to handle the video card since most of the ones that come with a case are garbage.  Remember... garbage in, garbage out.  No offense Rig, but that list is why a lot of people go over budget... there's a lot of things missing.  Here's what you need to budget for parts wise:

• OS
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • Power Supply
  • Memory
  • Video Card
  • Sound Card - no need for this since your pillaging from current system
  • Hard drive(s)
  • Optical drives
  • Case
  • Keyboard/mouse
  • Case fans
  • CPU Cooler - if not using factory cooler
  • CPU Thermal Paste - if not using factory cooler
  • Shipping fees

I can't stress enought that if you are going to spec out your own system, research research and research some more.  We get a ton of information at the channel conferences.... more via email everyday.  If you want a system that will expand with you for the next few years, you will need to invest your money properly and to do that, you need to suck up as much knowledge about integrating components as possible.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 03:07:21 AM by Hawkes » Logged

Krogoth
Has a PS2 Hardon
WoW Member

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2007, 03:08:55 AM »

Basicly, I am not too picky for the case. Lighting isnt nessecarry, all I want is something that has at least 2 external 3.5"s and at least 2 internal 3.5"s. Enough fan slots to keep a good gaming rig cool. Doesnt have to be anything spectacular.

And Im not too sure about Vista. I know that only it has DX10, but I dont expect to have a Video Card that supports DX10 for quite a while (AFAIK, only the GeForce 8800 supports it)

AlexFirestorm
Planetside Member

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2007, 04:25:05 AM »

When I built my system I spent 3 months researching the stuff and hawkes should know I was probly bugging him as well as bugging other people I know about my build.

But you know building my own system I learned a ton from doing it as well as troubleshooting the verious problems down the road. But its all good.

Hawkes
Wolverine Council
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2007, 04:27:24 AM »

let me see what I can come up with for ya krogoth.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx