gfxHomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Computer. I actually mean it this time!  (Read 1625 times)
Krogoth
Has a PS2 Hardon
WoW Member

« on: December 17, 2007, 09:20:16 PM »

Ok, so I know you all know me as the guy who asks about getting a new computer and has yet to follow through. Ever. This has changed.

Over the past 2 weeks both harddrives in my Compaq died. The first one got down to 2.4MB/s read/write when I decided to get rid of it and just use my secondary. Flashfoward to last night, I get home from work my computer's off and won't boot. I test everything, everything's fine but the harddrive. Motor burnt out.  Since IDE harddrives are expensive as hell (~$1/gig), I figure its time to upgrade.

I had my friend spec one out for me, just want to post it, see what you all think. My budget is ~$600. I'm not worried about the video card for now, its an expense I can pick up in a few more paychecks.

Case - COOLER MASTER ATX Mid Tower
Mobo - Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard
Video Card - MSI GeForce 7300LE 128MB PCI Express x16
PS -  Rosewill  550W
Proc -  Intel Core 2 Duo  2.66GHz
RAM 2GB DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
HDD - WD 250GB SATA

I'm going to be grabbing the RAM tonight, since its on sale right now, but what do you guys think of the rest of the order? Like I said the video card is only to hold me for a few months at the most, and the sad part is its better than my old 9800Pro. He was going to give me a quad-core but he said getting one that was worth buying was going to tack another $100 onto the bill, and I really can't afford it.

I'm wanting to order the parts either by the end of the week, though I'm looking more at mid next week by the time my mom pays me back what I loaned her.

edit: my plan is to end up getting an 8800GTS or something comparable in the graphics department
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 09:14:48 PM by Krogoth » Logged

Hawkes
Wolverine Council
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 09:44:09 PM »

At a quick glance, get a better PSU.  Garbage in, garbage out.  I know money is an issue, but don't build a system only to have an inefficient PSU burn up your components.  Have you looked at Newegg's Bill Me Later option?  It's good if you have the discipline to pay it off in 90 days, but you get screwed on the back end if you don't.

I like the case.  I like a lot of CoolerMaster stuff.

I'll look at the other stuff later.

Krogoth
Has a PS2 Hardon
WoW Member

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 10:54:07 PM »

hmm, I took a look at some of the reviews, and too many of them were saying it died early for my liking. I'm pretty good at making sure things get paid off,but its sort of a matter of I really can't go too much more over $600, so I can still have enough for books next quarter, lol.

And as a note, I'm really good with MIRs, so if you find something decent or at a decent price with MIRs, let me know.

Krogoth
Has a PS2 Hardon
WoW Member

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 09:13:06 PM »

so, would either of these be better PSU to grab?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171025
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341010

Looking at newegg in the watt range I'm in for (500-550), there isn't a good selection of brands, and 3 of them I never heard of.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx