« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MAG  (Read 18643 times)
Varg
Varg....Varg Vikernes
SW:TOR Officer

MAG
« on: December 29, 2009, 01:41:09 PM »

To bad this isnt for the PC. 256 player maps, squad leaders, global commanders, objectives.....sounds familer.

http://www.mag.com/

I think I may have to pick this up for the ps3.

gratefulness you guys for doing what you did so far. It's important bullshit.
Varg
Varg....Varg Vikernes

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 01:48:56 PM »

from the G4 review:

Zipper Interactive knows how to think big. Maybe it's the fact that the company got its start designing Apache helicopter sims for the U.S. military -- it may be that any civilian game development feels like a cakewalk in comparison. But whatever the reason, the developer has been pushing forward in the online arena since they launched the PS2 network adapter with the original SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs way back in 2002. The series started out with 16-player online play, and graduated to 32-player matches with SOCOM 3. 2006's Combined Assault added four-player co-op. These were sensible, predictable improvements.

, on the other hand, is almost ridiculously ambitious.

For Zipper's latest trick (and their first PS3 game), they're filling vast maps with 256 simultaneous human players. And as if the sheer technology behind such a feat weren't enough, they're also creating a complete chain of command to give players the ability to take command of squads of eight, and platoons of 32, with a single officer in charge of the whole company. Using a simple icon system, leaders can set objectives for the troops under them, from simple waypoints to more long-term goals like defending territory. Soldiers who choose to obey their officers' commands get bonuses to experience, which in turn grants experience to the officer.

You need to earn leadership abilities, of course, but the effort to do so will be worth it. Each leadership role carries with it certain forms of tactical support: squad leaders can deploy recon drones, for example, while platoon leaders can call in strafing runs.

But understand, even though the structure is similar, this isn't a military game in the traditional sense. Since MAG is set 20 years in the future, its fighting forces are privately owned, and each of the three corporations in the game is constantly competing with the others for lucrative contracts in what the developers are calling the "shadow war." If players in your faction perform well enough to maintain these contracts, you get access to special gear: tricked out, state-of-the-art vehicles and weapons, for example.

I got to check out some of these advanced features and leadership abilities for myself, and using them works as well as anyone with experience in SOCOM's singleplayer modes would expect: you can issue commands on the fly with the d-pad, or take a more big-picture approach by using the tactical map, a simplified, 3D, overhead view of the entire battlefield, showing the location of every friendly unit and any enemies that have been revealed by line-of-sight or other recon.

The really shocking thing is that the game runs as smoothly as it does. In the 256-player match I participated in, I noticed almost no lag or other technological issues. The environment was complex and detailed, with no visible compromises to draw distance and no noticeable slowdown even with a screen full of players. The weapons felt fast and accurate, with the exception of grenades, which are in obvious need of some tuning as they never seemed to land remotely where they should. And tactical support felt quick and powerful, making it a simple affair to take out a group of enemies with a cluster bomb. (Don't worry, you get some warning when this sort of thing is incoming…if you're paying attention).

Like any online-only game, though, MAG is going to stand or fall by its players and its real-world performance. Sony seems confident the game will hold up well on both counts. You'll be able to find out for yourself when it launches late this year.

Read more: http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/696249/MAG-Hands-On-Preview.html#ixzz0b5M8c1SK

Hawkes
Wolverine Council
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 03:56:08 PM »

Shame it's just for the PS3.

Redbear8
WoW Member

where's the honey?

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 05:55:40 PM »

I was thinking the same thing Hawkes, sounds like a kick ass game, if only I could play it...

"To open one's mouth indiscriminately brings shame, and there are many times when people will turn their backs on such a person."

-Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Nightstalker
Fuck the Fed.
Wolverine Core Member - all game access

Hypnochest

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 06:39:36 PM »

Fuck that.

They should make this for PC and PS3.

Combine the two pools of players.

Jim Tressel
[global] WTB new character name

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 07:12:18 PM »

Or better yet, make it for the PC and combine the 1 pool of players.  Everyone needs to get with the program: PC gaming ftw.

Snackcakes
GO BUCKS!
WoW Member

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 07:19:37 PM »

Or better yet, make it for the PC and combine the 1 pool of players.  Everyone needs to get with the program: PC gaming ftw.

This.

plus

COD MWF2 is just too cool. It really has spoiled me for other FPS games. Although if they can pull this one off it sounds fun.

My faith in you shall never falter again.
ch0wdah
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 05:12:53 AM »

[WOLV] JimTressel

Fixed.
Varg
Varg....Varg Vikernes

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 12:35:11 PM »

I agree. Just thought the 2 people with a ps3 here might would want to know. Really sucks its not for PC.

Nightstalker
Fuck the Fed.

Hypnochest

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 03:06:47 PM »

Don't be jealous and try to steal my thunder.

You know its best to get an awesome game populated by console and PC players, rather than just one or the other. Its more people playing.

How you get there is your own choice, so dont be a softcore vag about it.

Varg
Varg....Varg Vikernes

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 03:41:56 PM »

The problem with pooling them together is complex, it can be overcome but its going to take the developers to get there shit together and make it happen.

The mechanics on a console are just not the same, the way the console sends its data to the (dedicated ps3/xbox) servers is proprietary as hell, just doesnt work the same. There would have to be some sort of standard developed across the board, and with competition between the consoles this is probably never going to happen. It really sucks its worked its way toward that.

That and if some of us old school PC FPS players went head to head with a keyboard and mouse against the console kids with there clunky controls, the pwnage would be so epic the universe might explode.

Nightstalker
Fuck the Fed.

Hypnochest

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2009, 12:54:46 AM »

It's going to happen sooner or later that there will be a one system.

I'd imagine if anyone is poised to make it happen, it's Microsoft. They've essentially got control of the interface frame; Windows live, and a console system now which is kind to PC mechanics (downloadable harddrive content etc)

And then, as you highlighted,   WASD warriors the world over will celebrate in glorious victories.

Snackcakes
GO BUCKS!
WoW Member

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 01:26:08 PM »

Although I think this applies to any new FPS

My faith in you shall never falter again.
Varg
Varg....Varg Vikernes

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 04:05:31 PM »

I have been playing the beta, its actually a lot of fun. Wish it was for PC. HUGE maps. All the people complaining about getting popped after 5 mins of running by someone you didnt see are not playing as a team with there squad and platoon. Its really funny watching people spawn run die spawn run die trying to play it like Modern Warfare. Cant be rambo in this one.

Redbear8
WoW Member

where's the honey?

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 04:07:28 PM »

Wish I could join you. I'm looking for something different. Not going to buy a PS3 though.

"To open one's mouth indiscriminately brings shame, and there are many times when people will turn their backs on such a person."

-Yamamoto Tsunetomo
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx