gfxHomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: OK, looking to build new system...but I have no clue  (Read 2782 times)
Stugots
I'm no Geographist.
Wolverine Council

« on: October 29, 2007, 03:25:02 AM »

So, as the title says.  I'm looking to start piecing together a new system.  I have no freaking clue what is good, or what is bad anymore.

I know dual core is the way to go (or what is the norm anyway).  My roommate just built a new machine, and spent all together about 750 bucks shipped from newegg.  Not sure on the specs of what he has though.

I'm just getting tired of this old clunker failing me, and causing me problems, so I may take the stuff out, get some new ram for it, and use it as a DVR from here on out.

So, hopefully in the next few months (in time for huxley) I can get some info and figure out what I want.

It has to kick ass in the gaming area (obviously). 

I'm usually a fan of AMD, but whatever works (and can get me good performance for the money, will be what I go with).

Usually I build a Middle-of-the-road system, depending on budget we'll see what I can do this time out.

Anyway, any advice you can give would help greatly with this build.  (went to newegg and got a headache, cant even figure out the type of case I would want).

Stugots is an Italian American slang word taken from "Stu Cazzo", itself a corruption of 'Questo Cazzo', meaning "this dick". 'Questo' = This, 'Cazzo' = dick
Member of the Specialized Terran Fighting Unit since 2005
BCBrent:  "This Wolverine has a steed with really long legs".
ch0wdah
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 04:08:26 AM »

Quad Core?

8800? x2?

Hawkes
Wolverine Council
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 04:58:34 AM »

Stu,

Do I know you well enough to say that you would like a system that will give you good gaming performance and some video editing ability?

As in most cases, you can go real basic, mainstream, or bleeding edge.  Bleeding edge means you will be spending maximum money on components just off the production line.  I don't think you're ready for this nor will you want to spend the money.  I don't think you're looking for a basic system since you already have that so your focus will be mainstream.  Mainstream in my book is similiar to what Brent is running with right now.  What you need to do though is determine your budget first.  Identify if there is anything in your current system that you intend to put in the new system, thereby saving you a couple bucks.

I'd also be interested to know what your roommate picked up for $750.  It's a good starting point and will allow for easy comparison.

Stugots
I'm no Geographist.
Wolverine Council

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 07:07:47 AM »

I'll try to get you a list of what he got.

BTW, of course I'd be looking to get some stuff from you, if you're still selling stuff that is.

And yea, mainstream is what I'd be probably leaning toward.  Bleeding edge = bleeding for the machine which I'm not willing to do, and I figure anything relatively up to date will blow away my current rig anyway.

Stugots is an Italian American slang word taken from "Stu Cazzo", itself a corruption of 'Questo Cazzo', meaning "this dick". 'Questo' = This, 'Cazzo' = dick
Member of the Specialized Terran Fighting Unit since 2005
BCBrent:  "This Wolverine has a steed with really long legs".
Phazis
Wolverine Core Member - all game access

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 02:19:19 PM »

one thing for sure, have a look at the Nvidia 8800 GT cards released just today looks like really sweet spot in video card selection 199$ - 250$

Reddawn
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 07:27:48 PM »

I was going to get a new computer but instead I am going to spend the money on photography stuff. So I will play wow til my pc dies.
Ziprar
WoW Member

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 05:36:34 PM »

For reference, here's the system I'm building.  Total I expect to spend around $800-900 total, but I'm taking it slow and getting deals where I can.  These are all descriptions directly from Newegg.

Case - COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - $79.99
     I got it for about $50 shipped inc. MIR and instant savings
Mobo - DFI INFINITY NF570 SLI-M2/G AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - $109.99
     With SLi capability for the future
Video Card - XFX PVT88PYDF4 GeForce 8800GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - $269.99
     Or some reasonable facsimile, just a 8800GT of some sort.
Power Supply - COOLER MASTER Real Power Pro RS-750-ACAA-A1 ATX12V / EPS12V 750W Power Supply - $149.99
     I got a $40 MIR with this
Processor - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model ADX6000CZBOX - $159.99
RAM -  Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - $89.99
     Another $40 MIR.
Hard drives - Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600AAJS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - $49.99 ea. X3 = $149.97
     Raid 5 goodness!
Optical Drive - LG 18X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black IDE Model GSA-H54LK - $28.99

I bought this with modularity in mind, so if I wanted to I could add another HDD to the array if I need more space, add another vid card for SLi later if I want to, plus general upgradability.  You could easily dump the 2 extra HDDs, but I really wouldn't skimp out on the power supply if you can afford it since you will need a decently large one if you have an 8800.  If you'll never go SLi, then you could probably drop it down to a 600w or so, but make sure you get a good power supply!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 05:42:37 PM by Ziprar » Logged

Veadria/Veadric/Groxxarn/Grylyn
Hawkes
Wolverine Council
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 06:21:04 PM »

I bought this with modularity in mind, so if I wanted to I could add another HDD to the array if I need more space, add another vid card for SLi later if I want to, plus general upgradability.  You could easily dump the 2 extra HDDs, but I really wouldn't skimp out on the power supply if you can afford it since you will need a decently large one if you have an 8800.  If you'll never go SLi, then you could probably drop it down to a 600w or so, but make sure you get a good power supply!

Keep in mind though that if you add another video card, you need to do it with the same chipset.  If you wait too long and the cards are end of life, you'll need to buy two new cards.  This is how a lot of people get burned on SLI.

Ziprar
WoW Member

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 06:50:42 PM »

True, but I'm hoping that the 8800GTs will be around for awhile, and if I do decide to go SLI, it'd be in less than a year.  I hope... Otherwise I'd just sink that money into a new system.

Veadria/Veadric/Groxxarn/Grylyn
DapperDave
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 04:05:48 PM »

I've got to say, I would seriously consider an Intel Core 2 Duo chip - their performance / value is outstanding (especially for editing/compressing and such) - not to mention their reduced energy requirements.
Hawkes
Wolverine Council
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 04:21:22 PM »

for editing and compression, you should go quad core.  Actually, from my perspective any machine should go quad core, but that's just my opinion.  Video and audio applications is one area where the quad cores excel right now.  There's still only a small handful of games out there, but there are dozens on the way.

If you're on a very tight budget, I would go the core 2 duo to save but spend a couple extra $$ on your mobo to be sure it can upgrade to a quad.  Otherwise, quad is the way to go right now.

DapperDave
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 06:19:05 PM »

I'm still not convinced that programmers / OS's know how to fully utilize 4 cores, in fact I think in most cases the quad core is being utilized as if it were dual-core or even single.
Hawkes
Wolverine Council
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 07:59:15 PM »

A lot of them don't which is why game support is so limited, but apps such as adobe premiere pro cs etc. take great advantage.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx