gfxHomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New computer.  (Read 3347 times)
Ataeus
« on: November 20, 2007, 07:44:53 AM »

I'm in the same boat Stu's in. It's been so long since I've cared I have no clue on whats what anymore. Basically I'm lookin at what I can do with my Asus P4P800SE mobo with getting dual core and a new GFX thats compatible or if I need to get a new mobo all together. SLI might even be an option.  Lookin for under $1000. I 'want' something that can run Crysis and Huxley later on. I tried going on newegg and I'm just way too nub now to figure anything out. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Also I've always typically gone with Intel and eVGA cards I dunno personal preference but that was years ago.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 07:49:09 AM by Ataeus » Logged
Turkley
Wolverine Core Member - all game access

Controlled Chaos

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 02:48:24 PM »

As far as video cards go, the Nvidia 8800GT chipset is the bomb.  Best bang for the buck.  I think it goes for around $300.
Reddawn
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 04:36:34 PM »

Actually Tom...while it's hard to believe.....I am the best bang for the buck....I'm just saying....
Hawkes
Wolverine Council
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 07:23:07 PM »

OK... you're my in the same boat as me than Stu.  I think Stu is contemplating a new PC whereas you, like myself, are looking to get more life out of what you already have.  First things first... you have an AGP8X video slot which mean no series 8xxx cards for you.  The best you can do is a 7800.

What I am running is an 865PE board like you are, but Intel versus Asus.  I just installed an 7600GT card since that was the most I could afford.  7800 cards can still be pretty steep depending on the ram used.  Prior to that I coulnd't run the Crysis MP beta worth a damn.  Now it's definitely playable, but settings are not maxed out by any means.  I've been playing COD4 recently and the graphics are pretty sweet with that and I have no problems at all with optimal settings.

You are at a crossroads.  You either need to save for a new system or do the best you can knowing that you will need to upgrade in another year or two.  A new system you should budget at least $1300.

Ataeus
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 12:42:05 AM »

I'll probly just get a new system together then. Right now I'm lookin at a 8600GT, a Core 2 Duo at 2.66, new mobo, and I'd like to get some newer ram in the 2gigs but don't know if I should go Kingston or Corsair and wat the difference between ddr800 and ddr1200 is. The reason im opting for the 8600gt is because I don't really need anything superpowerful atm and its a lot cheaper and when I do need more I can just buy another and link em, or would it be better to just get a 8800 right off the bat. All together im around 850-900 right now with avg prices on newegg.
Gingerfarkas
Ginger
WoW Member

The Black Tiger Wolf

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 01:18:14 AM »

Hehe, at least all I need to do is change the case on my compy and get a fan and new power supply box thingo (sounds oh-so-technical don't I?)

Poor Unnormal/Mark, they had to put up with my computer overheating and dying just before an instance.

--

The Black Tiger Wolf
Hawkes
Wolverine Council
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 04:19:32 AM »

I'll probly just get a new system together then. Right now I'm lookin at a 8600GT, a Core 2 Duo at 2.66, new mobo, and I'd like to get some newer ram in the 2gigs but don't know if I should go Kingston or Corsair and wat the difference between ddr800 and ddr1200 is. The reason im opting for the 8600gt is because I don't really need anything superpowerful atm and its a lot cheaper and when I do need more I can just buy another and link em, or would it be better to just get a 8800 right off the bat. All together im around 850-900 right now with avg prices on newegg.

Go Corsair if you can afford it and get 2 Gigs.  Corsair is still beating out all others in head to head tests.

Don't buy a video card with the thought that some day you might set up SLI.  Video cards change too quickly for that and honestly, dual card setups are still not proven to do it better anyway.  A lot of mobos split the bandwidth between them rather than double it.

The difference between the DDR speeds (800, 1200, etc.) is the speed of the RAM access.  The higher the number the better, but you also need to look at CAS settings.  The lower the numbers the better.

Before you buy anything, send me the newegg part numbers and I'll see if I can beat them on anything.  Newegg isn't always the cheapest.

Ataeus
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 06:03:24 AM »

Will do, thanks for the help!
Reddawn
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 02:30:14 PM »

I was looking at this board http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813127030

and this card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143091
Ataeus
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2007, 12:55:44 AM »

Here it is Hawkes

CPU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16819115029
RAM - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820231122
GFX - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16814150253

Not sure what mobo to get
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131153
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131142
or if there's something better we can work with that.
Hawkes
Wolverine Council
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2007, 03:22:03 AM »

I can beat the price before the rebate, but those rebates they get from the mfr's kill me.  Thanks for the opportunity.

Hawkes
Wolverine Council
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2007, 03:29:52 AM »

Can't help you on the CPU.  NewEgg buys thousands of CPU's at a time getting the best deal that anyone in the industry can get.  It's a rare occasion I can compete with the CPU's.

I haven't heard much about the GSkill ram and none of my disties carry it so I can't speak for its' performance.  I can tell you that looking at the timing specs being 5-5-5-12, you may have some issues down the road.  Those are pretty high meaning cheap components.

The graphics card I can get you for $279.99 plus shipping.  Depending on where you are at, you can probably get it in less than 3 days via UPS ground.

Those mobos are both nice, but the nVidia 650i chipset is getting a little weathered.  Is $180 your top budget for a mobo?  I think you can do a little better if you can spend a little more.

Ataeus
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2007, 04:30:39 AM »

Think I'll go with my first choice in RAM then http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145177

The mobo can be more if you have any better suggestions. I don't want to gimp the system by getting a crap one. If you have the card that's great newegg reviewer's are saying its hard to come by because not enough are being made? or something(they're out of stock).  But I  wouldn't be ordering for another week or two since its my xmas present ^^.
Shipping wise I'm in Milwaukee, WI  3 blocks from UWM.
Reddawn
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2007, 10:13:02 PM »

I can beat the price before the rebate, but those rebates they get from the mfr's kill me.  Thanks for the opportunity.

You I think I have sent in like 10 mfr's and have never gotten a single one back so I don't even bother with them anymore.
Troyer
\m/ (>.<) \m/
WoW Member

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2007, 03:59:31 AM »

I've found the trick is to send the rebate certified mail.

"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."  -Humphrey Bogart
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx