gfxHomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your favorite job  (Read 4137 times)
RedDawn

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2010, 05:52:10 PM »

speaking of jackelmaster and balls....I need to go back to NYC again....too short a visit

Honey Badger don't give a fuck....
BCBrent
Cheesemaster

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2010, 06:26:43 PM »

I've been struggling with this answer, which I guess says a lot to me about how happy I've been with employment situations I suppose.

I have a lot of fond memories working at AMC, though I hated it at the time.  The job itself wasn't great but I did like the people I worked with and enjoyed hanging out with them.

My last job had Beer-Thirty every Friday Afternoon which was awesome.  My current job is BLEH at best, but it pays the bills.
Jim Tressel
[global] WTB new character name

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2010, 08:14:35 PM »

Worked at the pool snack bar for a couple years.  Free soft pretzels!

Super Subby's through high school was badass.  Free food and my friends as coworkers was awesome.  I was the night manager too, which meant we didn't have anyone to yell at us for all of the dick and fart jokes.

Hated working at Structure (now Express Men).

Loved working on the city road crew.  Worked on the long striper (yellow and white lines on the road) as well as the short striper (stop bars, turn lane arrows, crosswalks, etc.), replaced old worn out street signs.  It was a lot of hard work in the sun and heat, but felt good at the end of the day and I got to play a lot of instant lotto with the mouthbreathing full-timers.  Good gig.

Loved working as a student assistant at the desk in my dorm.  I spent a boatload of time drunk at that job.

Was a "driver" in college.  Basically drove around campus delivering tv's and projectors to classrooms.  A lot of heavy lifting and very physical job, but fun.

Worked at the Varsity Club back in the dungeon kitchen.  Made pizzas, sandwiches, salads, fried shit, bar food shit.  Decent enough job, until football season came and they wanted me to work 7am-gametime shifts on Saturdays that I had home tickets for.  Dealbreaker.  Those are get drunk hours.  I did manage to steal a ton of booze and pizza from them though. 

Level 2 student tech: meh.  Mostly replacing dead floppy drives and mundane shit like that.  Pretty boring.

Level 3 student tech: amazing.  Very loosely supervised.  Spent a lot of time drunk, in movie theaters, watching tv/having cookouts at my house, all on the clock.  Learned a shitload of tech stuff from my much more intelligent co-workers.  I'm convinced there is no better way to learn shit than to ask someone smarter than you a lot of tedious questions.  

Customer support at AVV (Brent's current job): fucking terrible.  Sorry Nick, but it's true.  I started out working the 1-10 shift.  1-5 was fucking unbearable.  6-10 was much easier cause I was the only one in the office and I could play WoW and teach myself Sketchup and Blender since nobody was calling in.  True cubicle-farm job though and I hated every minute of it.

Classroom helpline at OSU: alright, I guess.  Pretty mind-numbing.  Lots of showing professors how to plug a laptop into a projector, replacing overhead lamp bulbs, rehanging screens, etc.  It got kinda old after about 8 months.

Desktop support/student manager at OSU Libraries: A step up from Helpline.  Lots of work, lots of customers, very little assistance from the 4 full-time fuckwads I had to work with.  This job was kind of a pain in the ass, actually, but good for me to get some of my IT chops back.

IT Manager at the Glenn School (current job): Best job I've had so far.  Tons of work, tons of responsibility, and everyone expecting me to have answers and solutions.  I love that I get to call the shots and people have no choice but to listen to me.  I'm managing another full-timer and a handful of students.  It's been a lot of work to re-learn and update my knowledge on networking, servers, automated software and image deployment, and be a part of the School's administrative team simultaneously.  Every day is different and I never get bored.  It's a metric fuckton of work, but I'm a perfectionist workaholic, so I love it.  Now they just need to give me more of this money and I'll be set.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 08:25:44 PM by Jim Tressel » Logged

RedDawn

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2010, 02:08:00 PM »

My job is the complete opposite of JT's. Barely any work. No responsibility because no one gets fired here. No one listens to my answers or solutions. I don't have anyone to help me and I really haven't learned anything. The only difference is at my job there is about 75 BONAFIDE hot chicks that I yenta it up with.

Honey Badger don't give a fuck....
Snackcakes
GO BUCKS!
WoW Member

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2010, 06:40:19 PM »

I just accepted a position as a Systems Manage for the school of architecture.... hopefully this will be my favorite job!

My faith in you shall never falter again.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx