gfxHomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dust 514  (Read 1835 times)
Phazis
Wolverine Core Member - all game access

« on: August 18, 2009, 12:16:42 PM »

GDC Europe 09: Ambitious new online MMO/FPS hybrid detailed in keynote

CCP's Hilmar Veigar Petursson unveiled the studios's latest ambition at GDC Europe today - a new project called Dust 514 which bridges the gap between FPS and MMO audiences.

The game is an FPS for console - but one that is set in the EVE universe, and feeds back into the bigger space trading MMO on PC.

Explained Petursson: "It's our take on the console MMO - we looked hard at how people play in their living room and chose to make a specially made experience for that environment."

Players take he role of 'a gritty marine running around buying trucks and guns', living on planets in EVE Online.

The back story for the game is to be teased any explained in an upcoming EVE Online novel.

The game is structured to merge a lot of strategy, MMO and FPS elements, and has interplay with EVE itself, said Petursson. Dust 'becomes an input' for the PC MMO gameworld and will 'dictate' the content of it, he explained.

He added that there is a big opportunity to get two usually different player audiences - FPS fans and MMO players to work together.

He said: "There are ways in which these communities will meld in time. Our hope is that alliances will start to form and we will have social structures that spills over from the console game to the PC one. Or you might be able to control parts of the universe with both games. So while one fleet does the flying , the troops do the dying."

The game is being developed at CCP's Shanghai studio, using the 'Enterprice Scrum' method.

"We are leveraging all of CCP's International infrastructure into this project," concluded Petursson, adding that more details would be given at EVE's Fanfest 2009 event, which takes place later this year.

It was not made clear for which console the game will be released, or if it will debut on both 360 and PS3.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/170363/gdc_new_ccp_dust_514_console_mmo_to_feed_eve_online.html

Phazis
Wolverine Core Member - all game access

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 12:21:19 PM »

Video

http://video.golem.de/games/2283/dust-514-ego-shooter-im-universum-von-eve-online-gamescom-2009.html

Kastil
I have two fingers, I have four fingers.
WoW Member

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 09:40:11 PM »

That is a pretty cool concept, only putting enough of the MMO to make a smooth platform game but somehow still being able to diddle around with folks on the PC.  Least thats kind of what I took from it.

ZONK
WoW Member

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 07:58:35 AM »

Yeah very cool video, and cool concept. Still kinda vague but assume it setup to warp to planets in a constellation then once that is taken it applies some debuff/buff in Eve to a group that is allied with the ground force.

I get the odd feeling it going to be 360 only. The logic is, I don't see them making it so the PS3 and 360 communities could fight over the same land and be in battles together. And I don't see them not making it for the 360, so logic says it will only be the 360. If it wasn't very connected to Eve then you could have mixed consoles battling for different grounds. Still would be odd to play both games, and have chat in Eve, damn I can't ground attack this planet because it is for the 360 crowd, lets setup some other spot.

I would fight on the ground for Phazis as long as he prevented any planetary bombardment. This might be as close to Planetside 2 as we get, that is how I read about this, people in PS are talking about it forums calling it an option if PS goes offline leaving no FPS kinda-MMO.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx