gfxHomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: HTPC Build  (Read 40378 times)
Jim Tressel
[global] WTB new character name

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2009, 08:56:28 PM »

I will post some pics of it this weekend.

liar.

Jim Tressel

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2009, 11:23:59 PM »

Hello?  Varg?

Varg
Varg....Varg Vikernes
SW:TOR Officer

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2009, 11:58:19 AM »

Will post some pics tonight.

gratefulness you guys for doing what you did so far. It's important bullshit.
Jim Tressel

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2009, 04:11:02 AM »

You're breaking my <3 Varg.  What's the verdict on the Acer htpc?

Segnam
WoW Member

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2009, 04:57:50 AM »

He is to enthralled with it to break his gaze from it for too long.  Its like the robot chicken episode with Tivo.  He is probably drooling on the couch as we speak.

Don't cross the streams.
Varg
Varg....Varg Vikernes

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2009, 02:55:05 AM »

I started to rebuild it as a full on umbutu install rather than running the xbmc flavored LIVE distro due to not have smooth upgrades with the LIVE version. Lots of shit going on and i have been sick so i am dragging my ass. Will post something soon, promise.

Redbear8
WoW Member

where's the honey?

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2009, 03:35:23 PM »

We've seen what your promises mean...

"To open one's mouth indiscriminately brings shame, and there are many times when people will turn their backs on such a person."

-Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Jim Tressel

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2009, 04:30:09 PM »

at least snap a picture of your vomit and toss it up here. 

Varg
Varg....Varg Vikernes

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2009, 10:54:01 PM »

Oh here is some pics. More to come probably tonight or tommorow once I finish loading windows on it (read below and find out why).

I took pics of the unboxing and the unit itself in case you are interested in getting it:

unboxing....

all the parts from the box. Not to shabby they throw in a small usb keyboard and optical. Didnt expect that. Has a little stand so you can put it vertical if you want.

4 USB, HDMI, Ethernet, VGA

Its hard to see here, but thats actually a SATA port. Could be usefull

top with power button

Now here is the deal. I had this all setup, it scraped all the movies and must for data and gave me slick backgrounds and discriptions for each movie/music just like below. I didnt take any more pics cause the ones i did take look liked shit and i need to take them at night (which i will, tonight hopefully)

They looked just like that. I streamed 1080p video from my main pc (via ethernet- i dont think my wireless router can handle vull 1080p) and it worked FLAWLESSLY. It was beautiful with all the menus and what not. VERY sexy. It scraped all my media correctly without a hitch.

Then trouble struck.

I tried to upgrade the Live distro of XBMC. This is a NO. You should never update a LIVE distro via linux GET. So, I said screw it and install full on umbutu and full XBMC like a real man would do. This worked (last night) but as soon as i went to install the sexy skin you see above, i couldnt. The site hosting it was not allowing the git method to grab it anymore. So, im stuck. At this point i am surfing at work and see another HTPC software called BOXEE that is built off XBMC and is supposed to be the bees knees. What I am going to do tonight, hopefully, is install windows 7 on this guy, install XBMC and BOXEE to do a contrast and compare, and post pics of each. I have a few different reasons to try windows out:
1- At this point in time, NETFLIX streaming does not work on a linux OS. AT ALL. This kind of sucks, it does work on Windows though.
2- It does work with Linux, probably more efficiantly,  I installed this guy twice, but damn its a pain in the ass. If you have never worked with linux do not even attempt this.
3- I think it would be a better stress test on this box to run the HTPC software under Windows. This would also let me try Windows Media Center out.

I may go back to Linux, but right I want to try windows out at this point.

Couple of notes. XBMC and BOXEE are both free. Both of them have apps in the apple store for remotes to control them and they actually work. Was kind of cool to use the iphone as a tv remote (does it across http)
Boxee has a cool social feature that allows you to see what others liked to watch or recommend stuff to other people. I dont know how much I will get into this as I know nobody else that runs it.
Boxee has a built in Bittorrent client that you can plug RSS feeds into if you want.

So, tonight I am going to install Windows, then Boxee, then XBMC. I will post pics of it running and maybe even a video. This little box kicks ass and I can see a lot of hard drive purchases in my future.

Sorry if this is scatterbrained but i am feeling ill.

Jim Tressel

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2009, 01:11:08 AM »

Thanks for the update!  That's a lot of great info!  I'm definitely gonna get sassy soon and build something, especially since I just sold my mbp.  I've got a Shuttle sitting around that could use $100 worth of new guts to bring it up to spec, then it's time to get silly.  In fact, I'm thinking about replacing my wire shelving in the theater (like this) with a 2 post telecom rack for added silliness.  I look forward to hearing the results of your testing.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 01:12:42 AM by Jim Tressel » Logged

Varg
Varg....Varg Vikernes

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2009, 03:32:05 AM »

Ok, this thing runs slugish on win 7 with only 1 gig of ram. I am going to play with it tommorow a bit to see what I can get it to do, otherwise i am going to order some more memory . Now that I have seen Netflix work under Boxee, this is going to be a deal breaker for linux XBMC. Its just too damn slick having it all in one. Boxee is the heat, now that i have seen the social aspect of it, it kind of makes sense. It doesnt really click till you get in there and get the feel of it. Its not as sexy as XBMC with the AEON skin, but the netflix integration and the setup was flawless. It kind of feels like TIVO if that makes sense....
 Also, i snagged a closed beta copy of the new boxee from TPB and its 100% better than the old one. Hopefully have some pics up tommorow.

Jim Tressel

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2009, 12:22:56 AM »

Did the extra ram make a significant difference?  Pics of Boxee in action?

Varg
Varg....Varg Vikernes

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2009, 02:22:07 PM »

Havent added any more memory yet. I took a video of BOXEE in action (this is the not-public beta that you can grab from piratebay, although I wouldnt suggest it ). Sorry for the crappy quality for the video, just wanted to give you a look. Its a LOT brighter in person of course.

Boxee Beta
-Netflix is about unwatchable but does work. The boxee forums have devs swearing it will work soon. Something about hardware acceleration with silverlight.
-Streaming networked media worked fine, although it did not see one of the HD movies, not sure why.
-I am not sure I dig the interface, while it is snappy, it feels crowded. I want something simple and sexy. Probably going to go back to XBMC.
-It was kind of simple to setup up, which can not be said for XBMC.

[yt=425,350]yIUJOo6nrUU[/yt]
Unless they get netflix working soon, boxee is going to be a no-go for me. If I cant have netflix then XBMC on linux is WAY more efficiant.
Also, I found this thing and thought it was interesting. Thought I would pass it along if your interested JT

http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinestore/

Varg
Varg....Varg Vikernes

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2009, 02:25:17 PM »

Just to clearify, the Boxee beta is too crowded, it mixes online media with local stuff and its not easily apparent at first. I didnt like the music navigation either.
My search for a decent HTPC software continues.............

majer

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2009, 07:22:54 PM »

just as a curiosity what program are you using to make your dvd's into divx?
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx